Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ridgefield, WA (Sunlight Supply Amphitheater)
Fans of Live forum > Live / Ed Kowalczyk / The Gracious Few > Live - Tour dates & reviews
Badman
Set list for tonight's show, review to follow when I get to a real computer:

All over you
Love lounge
Pain lies
Dolphins cry
POD
the distance
I alone
Lakinis juice
White discussion
Heaven
Lightning crashes

Edit: See below post for actual setlist. I left some out here.
Bremang
QUOTE(Badman @ Jul 1 2018, 12:06 am) *
Set list for tonight's show, review to follow when I get to a real computer:

All over you
Love lounge
Pain lies
Dolphins cry
POD
the distance
I alone
Lakinis juice
White discussion
Heaven
Lightning crashes

No selling the drama or turn my head? only 11 songs vs 13 songs from the other show?
Bob
QUOTE(Bremang @ Jun 30 2018, 9:29 pm) *

No selling the drama or turn my head? only 11 songs vs 13 songs from the other show?

Oh man, if I had made the 2+ hour drive for a shorter set that didn't include one of my wife's favorite songs (TMH), I would have been LIVID.

Apparently CT makes the setlists. I wonder why the change. Guess we'll see what happens next in Reno on Monday.
SJN1279
QUOTE(Bob @ Jul 1 2018, 1:30 am) *

Oh man, if I had made the 2+ hour drive for a shorter set that didn't include one of my wife's favorite songs (TMH), I would have been LIVID.

Apparently CT makes the setlists. I wonder why the change. Guess we'll see what happens next in Reno on Monday.

I believe it was the same setlist. They played Selling the Drama and Turn My Head.
Badman
Setlist:

All over you
Love lounge
Pain lies on the Riverside
Dolphins cry
Selling the Drama
Pillar of Davidson
The Distance
I Alone
Lakini's juice
White discussion
Turn My head
Heaven
Lightning crashes

Review:

* This was the third show they've played on the tour and this tour is clearly aimed at people who checked out after TDTH.
* There isn't much in terms of innovation going on. They did not make use of the screen behind them and relied solely on lights. In 2018, I think people (like me) start to demand more. Live has beautiful imagery they can pull from and even counting crows made use of technology visuals.
*Speaking of those lights, it could just be my venue, but if you are prone to seizures you might want to sit out white discussion.
*I've seen LIVE 3 times and it's always been a wall of noise. this was no exception. No one could hear what he was saying during Love Lounge. People enjoyed the guitar it looked like.
*The only new things I saw were the addition of a drummer and Guitarist. The drummer was nondescript - playing exactly what Chad played, with the exception of shaking a shaker during The Distance. The guitarist on the other hand is actually good! They keep him in the back (because he's not the star), but they let him up during The Distance and he made it a completely different song. This is going to be a controversial opinion, but he was better than Chad Taylor. You decide for yourself. See this image of him https://imgur.com/a/TM4n1rs
* Ed is changing the lyrics again and it sucks. He no longer says "Earn the ransom from up here." He now says earn the ransom from down here. Lyrics to Heaven have been altered to be exclusively about believing in god when he sees his kids. He said that the band has 13 children between them because the band obeys the bible when it told them to go forth and multiply vomit.gif
* Maybe it's because I've seen the old clips with Ed railing against religion and the band acting crazy on stage, but the best word to describe their current performance is neutered. With the obvious christian overtones and Ed's weird unsexy stage manner, it's clear that the Live I knew is not coming back. Ed has a creepy uncle vibe on stage - like when he implores us to come to the love lounge and moves his hand like he's fingering a woman. His chicken dancing and imploring us to "shake it" during The Distance (a not very dance-able song if you ask me) were all off-putting.
* Once again, it might be my venue, but there seemed to be a strict "no fun" atmosphere. Guards kept you to your section, so you couldn't go up to get photos and if you had an end seat like me if your foot was a few inches in the aisle you got a talking to. I was right up front and there was a group of guys just completely rocking out to pain lies on the riverside and the dolphins cry. They knew all the words and were really getting into it, yelling at the band and having a great time. Every time I looked at them, I smiled because no one else up there was singing along to the non-TC songs. That group of people were promptly removed by security facepalm.gif
* The venue was definitely not full. It had a big grass section in the back and no one was out there. They couldn't sell any lawn tickets it seems. I took some photos of the crowd after the encore at this link https://imgur.com/a/TM4n1rs

According to my eyes, and security who I asked, about half of the crowd left after Live. I know maybe 10 counting crows songs so I thought I would stay. The lead singer of counting crows looks like a chubby little man wearing a disguise lol.gif He's a great story-teller, but as soon as he starts singing it's really hard to follow him. I think the issue is that he doesn't know how a chorus works. He's also not one for audience involvement. I left early after hearing Anna Begins, but I couldn't help but be jealous of the Crows fans. Counting Crows has varied their setlist at all three shows so far and Live hasn't budged.

Overall, I am glad this forum exists so someone can read my words because I feel so conflicted. Loving Live has been a part of my identify for going on 15 years. The band is clearly not the same and they appear to be targeting people unlike myself... folks who are inspired by their children or folks who have access to love lounges. I don't feel I can relate to Live anymore and I am torn because I think I need to find a new band to call my favorite. Ed is just too damned happy - I want some smart lyrics with some pain behind them. Am I Alone here? (pun intended).
Bob
QUOTE(Badman @ Jul 1 2018, 9:51 am) *

Overall, I am glad this forum exists so someone can read my words because I feel so conflicted. Loving Live has been a part of my identify for going on 15 years. The band is clearly not the same and they appear to be targeting people unlike myself... folks who are inspired by their children or folks who have access to love lounges. I don't feel I can relate to Live anymore and I am torn because I think I need to find a new band to call my favorite. Ed is just too damned happy - I want some smart lyrics with some pain behind them. Am I Alone here? (pun intended).

You're not alone. I was a bit scared to post my review on Friday night because there are several people on this board that live, eat and breathe Live today, and while that used to be me even a few albums ago, I too have fallen out of love with the band. They've changed. They're older. They have kids. The fire is gone.

The fact is they're in a different place today than they were in the early 90's as angsty teens with stuff to say, but to us, that hits hard and hurts. That's why my wife and I have completely different stances on the show: She wanted to see Ed sing (his voice is still great; I'll give him that) all the hits, which she got, and I wanted at least one or two deeper cuts and a good live show, as their name suggests, and sadly, I didn't get that.

The kicker is that we haven't gotten that since before the SFBM days, so I don't know why I expected anything different now. I assumed that with Ed back, everything would change and we'd get "old Live" back. That's on me; not the band. The band hasn't changed at all. I've changed, and that's the problem.

Couple notes to your notes:

* When we walked into the amphitheater, there was a sign about the bright lights and that light-sensitive people should take caution. True that. It felt like the lights were attacking my eyeballs every second they were on stage.

* My venue didn't have a screen or anything, but maybe it was behind Live's stuff and specifically for CC? If they had one there, that would have been *perfect* for the lyric video for Love Lounge.

* The other guitarist is Zak Loy, and the drummer is Robin Diaz. Zak is a very good guitarist, which is why I was bummed that his solo in The Distance was cut short. I like what he brings to the band to help CT round out the guitars since Ed doesn't play much anymore. I saw Robin play some timbales, some shakers and other random stuff, but for the most part, he was just following Gracey. At times I felt he wasn't playing it as fast or correct as the song itself, but since he wasn't very mic'd, it wasn't a big deal. I haven't liked what Robin brought to Live since CG was injured. I felt they could have found a drummer that better suits CG's style, but I believe he's friends with Kevin Martin, and that's how he came to be in the band.

* I left right after Live and gave the couple behind us our seats. She seemed surprised that I'd leave before CC, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't leave fast enough. There were a handful of others that left when I did, but most went to the outside area to get drinks, hit the merch table or use the bathroom before CC came on.

* I too have been looking for other bands to fill the musical hole that Live has left, but to be honest, there aren't many for me in this new era of music. I have pretty high standards for what I look for in music (thank you, Live, as you literally *made* those standards for me), so it's tough. Here's some of what I'm listening to lately if it helps. What else do you listen to?

Candlebox: Disappearing in Airports (I've always loved Candlebox and their latest album is fantastic. Dave Krusen is on drums, who was the first drummer for Pearl Jam on the "Ten" album)

Black Country Communion IV (Joe Bonamassa is one of the best blues rock guitarists today, and this supergroup also contains Jason Bonham (John Bonham's son), Billy Sheehan (many, many things), Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) and Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater)).

The Winery Dogs: Hot Streak (Balls-to-the-wall rock music. Richie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)).
Voodoo Lady
The Winery Dogs: Hot Streak (Balls-to-the-wall rock music. Richie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)).

Hell yea, Winery Dogs are a fantastic recommendation! I’ve admired Kotzen as a guitarist since his days in Poison and who knew he had a great voice. Their box set, “Dog Treats” was really cool, I thought. Of course I compared that box set to the Mental Jewelry reissue and was once again a little disappointed in Live and what extra little trinkets or something they could have done with it, lol.
Badman
QUOTE(Bob @ Jul 1 2018, 2:37 pm) *

* I too have been looking for other bands to fill the musical hole that Live has left, but to be honest, there aren't many for me in this new era of music. I have pretty high standards for what I look for in music (thank you, Live, as you literally *made* those standards for me), so it's tough. Here's some of what I'm listening to lately if it helps. What else do you listen to?

First, I gotta say that I'm thrilled that you read my post! I read your post and since there is no way to tag people in an old school forum there was no guarantee that you'd see it. I wanted you to know that you didn’t miss much by skipping out on coming down my way.

I listen to music for all sorts of reasons and I’ve found that my tastes have really broadened since I joined this forum over 10 years ago. For lyrical quality, these come to mind as things I’ve most immediately been spinning:

• Kendrick Lamar – Damn – I haven’t felt this way about a rap record since The Roots “Undun” and Public Enemy’s “It takes a national of millions to hold us back.” The lyrics are quite impactful and dude brings the beats. If you are not black, it helps you to understand the perspective.
• The Books – Lemon of Pink – A strange collection of folk electronica/Americana constructed in a bitterly cold squirrel-infested squalor in New York. They take the field recordings and set them to rather displaced beats. They said they were going for an album that was as familiar as it was unfamiliar and I have to agree they accomplished that. It’s not what I’d call an “approachable” album for the average listener and you’ll never hear it on the radio.
• The Antlers – Hospice – This is a bitter concept album about falling in love with a girl who is dying, but is also more alive because of it. There are lots of layers here and things are open to interpretation.
• Josh Ritter –Getting ready to get down – There are a surprising number of country artists out there who offer music to think to, but also music that’s just plain fun. Check out getting ready to get down by Josh ritter. He’s got smart lyrics all around, but I’ve added some of his singles to my summer rotation but not full albums quite yet. Other country recommendations I can make are The flying burrito brothers “the gilded palace of sin” of course Sturgill Simpson (Check out his cover of Nirvana’s “In Bloom.”)
• Rilo Kiley – The execution of all things – Another thinking album from a woman who sings in an upbeat way about some pretty dark topics. It’s from the saddle creek crowd (think bright eyes), so that means I’m going to like it haha. Bright eyes and Live powered my teens and early 20s. It’s some angsty shit ��

I’ll be spinning your recommendations at work today. Thank you for posting them!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.