Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape Town, South Africa (Grand Arena, GrandWest)
Fans of Live forum > Live / Ed Kowalczyk / The Gracious Few > Live - Tour dates & reviews
Pages: 1, 2
dangum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8HvgMAGt8
mattyeagles
These are headlining shows, right? So it would be reasonable to assume they have an expanded set list and possibly play a new song or two?
SJN1279
QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 5 2017, 9:53 am) *

These are headlining shows, right? So it would be reasonable to assume they have an expanded set list and possibly play a new song or two?

I would expect a slightly expanded setlist(16-18 songs), but I wouldn't expect new songs until they go back to the studio after the tour.
dangum
QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 5 2017, 10:53 pm) *
So it would be reasonable to assume they have an expanded set list and possibly play a new song or two?
Yep, I would think it would be reasonable since Ed mentioned that new tracks would be played in South Africa in a radio interview from June.

Ed Kowalczyk interview with Martin Bester South Africa radio, 1 June 2017
gerrycan70
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 6 2017, 6:13 pm) *

Yep, I would think it would be reasonable since Ed mentioned that new tracks would be played in South Africa in a radio interview from June.

Ed Kowalczyk interview with Martin Bester South Africa radio, 1 June 2017

The SA and Aussie shows should be 90 minute sets approx. I assume the setlist might be rearranged from their current festival order.

Keen to know if they've brought the Live LED backdrop. Will be waiting patiently to see initial photos from the SA shows.
sh4rpz
Hi again guys!

I am attending the Saturday show in Pretoria!

Just got word of meet and greets confirmed! woohoo!

Will post pics and vids when I can!

-R
dangum
"Our Founder & CEO Andy Mac in Cape Town today with Ed Kowalczyk and Chris Hardin (left, Management)"
https://twitter.com/AMPSAEvents/status/927566848970969089

IPB Image

"It’s media day in Cape Town with Live’s Ed Kowalczyk "
https://twitter.com/AMPSAEvents/status/927490084315844608

IPB Image
dangum
video by [Alan Hammond]

I Walk the Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-VprCLQbY
gerrycan70
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 8 2017, 11:50 am) *

video by [Alan Hammond]

I Walk the Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-VprCLQbY

Always love when CT lets rip on this song ... rockin.gif
dangum
I Am The Highway
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOT72oHI7TMC0J...sJLTeJ66cmP9o0/

SoL
I Alone

https://youtu.be/VaL3BAa9T5M
mattyeagles
QUOTE(SoL @ Nov 8 2017, 4:23 am) *

No additions to the setlist? If so, that's incredibly disappointing
dangum
QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 8 2017, 9:10 pm) *

No additions to the setlist?

Shit Towne was added.
https://twitter.com/brandsrock/status/927987762749468672

Some photos from the show

http://www.channel24.co.za/Multimedia/Musi...wn-gig-20171108
dangum
Review

+LIVE+ deliver with Reunion World Tour
By: Shan Radcliffe

If there is one band I'll never pass up the chance to see, it's +LIVE+. The Bellville Velodrome in 2006, frontman Ed Kowalczyk singing Throwing Copper unplugged in 2015, and now the 25-year Reunion World Tour.

After raging on the floor in 2006, but having kept fairly sedate in our seats for the unplugged walk-through of Throwing Copper, I was very happy to be back on the floor this time. Looking up at the grandstands at the people parked in their seats - I couldn’t think of a worse place to be to experience these legends first-hand.

IPB Image

Upon entering the GrandWest Arena, we saw a tiny chick dominating the stage with a big guitar and bigger voice. Cape Town alternative rock band The Sweetest Resistance had the honour of opening for the main act. And in the I'm-so-tired-I-could-be-drunk haze of the morning after, I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the Audioslave track they covered, but she did an incredible job taking on the song. Watch this band, folks.

A quarter of a century’s worth of material

Soon after clearing and resetting the stage, Mr. Kowalczyk and his band of brothers took over and started us off with All Over You. With a quarter of a century’s worth of material, it was hard to keep track of the tracks, but they treated us to a little of everything. Some of the songs they played off Throwing Copper were I Alone, Selling the Drama, Iris, White, Discussion as well as the special tribute to his hometown with Shit Towne and he may have flipped us the bird during T.B.D. Tracks from Distance to Here were Dolphin’s Cry, The Distance, and They Stood Up for Love; tracks off Secret Samadhi included Lakini’s Juice and Rattlesnake, along with the title track from Mental Jewellery, among others.

IPB Image

After the band disappeared off stage, the crowd roused the call for more and solo Ed appeared with his acoustic-electric guitar. He launched into Heaven, but had us in hysterics somewhere around the second or third verse when, without missing a beat, the lyrics melodically came out as something along the lines of “And I can’t remember the words to this fucking song that I wrote!” before catching up with the chorus once again. Lead guitarist Chad Taylor joined him halfway through the next song and the rest of the band joined thereafter. The opening bars of Run to the Water were suddenly cut short and Ed came back to the mic to apologise “Sorry guys! Do you mind if we start that again?” he asked us. “I fucked up. Someone must have done something to my Jack Daniel’s," he laughed, “coz that was my fault. But at least you know we’re actually playing!” Thanks for always keeping it real, guys.

Chatty showmen

Ever the showmen, they kept us entertained between songs with stories of their childhoods together and their observations on the country and world at large. Early on in the show, we were treated to their cover of Johnny Cash’s Walk the Line. One of the last songs of the night was a tribute to the late Chris Cornell and I immediately recognised the first strains of Audioslave’s Highway and they totally did it the justice it deserved.

IPB Image

As my friend and I discussed halfway through, the band had not yet played Lightning Crashes and reckoned there would be a lot of pissed off fans if they didn’t. Well. For those of you who left at intermission or just after, you missed the epic finalé as they closed with the legendary track.

After 25 years, +LIVE+ still do what they do best live (if you'll forgive the pun). And it’s no wonder they’re touted as a global concert juggernaut. Thanks again for a spectacular evening out. Until next time.

+LIVE+ play at Sun International’s Sun Arena at Time Square, Menlyn Maine, Pretoria on 10 November. Tickets available via Computicket

http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/480/169844.html
mattyeagles
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 8 2017, 8:32 am) *

looks like they also added POD, Iris and TBD. Awesome!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/live/2017/gr...a-13e0a919.html
Possum Kingdom
QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 8 2017, 9:18 am) *

looks like they also added POD, Iris and TBD. Awesome!

They are very nice additions to the "hits" setlist. Well done.

Cool that they are making their way around the world again.
MightyHet
Awesome setlist! When will we get this type of tour and set in the US? Does anyone have videos from this show of the songs they don't normally play like Rattlesnake, TBD, Iris, Shit Towne, etc?
SecretInsomnia
TBD, Rattlesnake, The Distance...

Very nice!
Bremang
When was the last time they played 22 songs at a show?
LiveForNow
Please tell me a full recording is out there somewhere. This is the kind of show I've been waiting for.
alexou
Did they play The distance at the actual show or just in soundcheck?

Interesting. POD, Rattlesnake, TBD, nice additions. A new song was needed for a long set like that since it's been 10 months since their first show back together. But these are refreshing, finally.
gerrycan70

So Saturday night's show to be live streamed according to this blog.

That was a great setlist

http://liveandlearncareers.blogspot.com.au...-cape-town.html
Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 8 2017, 7:56 pm) *

So Saturday night's show to be live streamed according to this blog.

That was a great setlist

http://liveandlearncareers.blogspot.com.au...-cape-town.html

Nice find. Please keep us posted if you find more details on the possible live stream.

Can't wait for shows with a setlist like this in the U.S. So jelly of the fans over there!
SJN1279
Here is the set from the show. I would love to see this setlist in the US early next year before the new music:

All Over You
Operation Spirit (The Tyranny of Tradition)
Pain Lies on the Riverside
The Dolphin's Cry
Selling the Drama
I Walk the Line
(Johnny Cash cover)
T.B.D.
Pillar of Davidson
The Distance
The Beauty of Gray
Shit Towne
Iris
I Alone
Lakini's Juice
White, Discussion
Encore:
Heaven (Ed Solo)
Turn My Head (Ed and Chad)
Mirror Song
Rattlesnake
Run to the Water
I Am the Highway
(Audioslave cover)
Lightning Crashes
andymbj
Bit disappointed with the lack of any new songs. Why announce that you are going to play new tracks if you're not going to follow through? Aside from that it's a pretty epic setlist and 22 songs is fantastic.
gerrycan70
QUOTE(andymbj @ Nov 9 2017, 9:58 pm) *

Bit disappointed with the lack of any new songs. Why announce that you are going to play new tracks if you're not going to follow through? Aside from that it's a pretty epic setlist and 22 songs is fantastic.

They were never going to play new material on this tour, not sure how you can be disappointed.
dangum
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 7:57 pm) *

They were never going to play new material on this tour, not sure how you can be disappointed.

Here are some links where Ed mentions that new songs will be played.

Ed Kowalczyk interview with Martin Bester South Africa radio, 1 June 2017 - fast forward to 6:15

TripleM radio interview with Ed Kowalczyk (Australian radio), July 13, 2017 - fast forward to 4:29 of the first interview

Interview with Ed Kowalczyk 97.3 The River, Glenn and Bob (25th May 2017) - fast forward to 3:34
gerrycan70
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 9 2017, 11:23 pm) *

Here are some links where Ed mentions that new songs will be played.

Ed Kowalczyk interview with Martin Bester South Africa radio, 1 June 2017 - fast forward to 6:15

TripleM radio interview with Ed Kowalczyk (Australian radio), July 13, 2017 - fast forward to 4:29 of the first interview

Interview with Ed Kowalczyk 97.3 The River, Glenn and Bob (25th May 2017) - fast forward to 3:34

You're seriously not going to hold Ed to statements made 6 months ago no.gif . They've been off the radar for 8 years as a foursome. No band is then all of a sudden going play / road test new material immediately after such a long absence.
dangum
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 9:14 pm) *

You're seriously not going to hold Ed to statements made 6 months ago no.gif .

I didn't realise that statements made greater than 6 months ago are no longer valid.

Here's a quote from August 8 (are quotes from 3 months ago still applicable?) where Ed is interviewed by an Australian writer and talking about the upcoming Australian tour.

“Oh man, we’re putting the show together now,” beamed Ed Kowalczyk, vocalist for Live, ahead of their November Australian tour. “Actually, we’ve been doing mostly festivals where we’re up there with a bunch of bands, so the Australian tour will be the first shows of our own that we’ll be able to play an extended set, so we’re pretty excited. We’re working on the show right now. We’re gonna, of course, play the songs people… I like to say we’ll play all the songs people will be super pissed off if we didn’t (laughs). We’re trying to get to every album in the catalogue and also throw a new song in there. We’re working on some new tunes and a couple of covers. We’ve got the production rocking, and every show we’ve been doing has been better than the one before, so I think by the time we get down there in November we’re gonna be firing on all cylinders.”

Source: [Article] Heavy Magazine (2017), interview with Ed Kowalczyk

Australian audiences should be excited to hear new material. music.gif
Liveman94
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 10 2017, 12:34 am) *

I didn't realise that statements made greater than 6 months ago are no longer valid.

Here's a quote from August 8 (are quotes from 3 months ago still applicable?) where Ed is interviewed by an Australian writer and talking about the upcoming Australian tour.

Quoted for agreement --- we are going to the Riverstage in Briz and up until now have been confident of hearing at least one new song...maybe we shouldn't be in expectation??? But I agree with Dan. Ed says new songs will be played - that's what I'm expecting!!!
gerrycan70
QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 10 2017, 1:34 am) *

Perhaps they felt they weren't ready to play any new material; that Gracey's injury set them back in being able to perfect the new material. Who knows what goes on in the decision making. I just think it's very unreasonable to expect to hear something new so soon, regardless of what a band member says. If I get the chance, I'll ask Ed next week about it.
throwing_cheetahs
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 9:58 am) *

Perhaps they felt they weren't ready to play any new material; that Gracey's injury set them back in being able to perfect the new material. Who knows what goes on in the decision making. I just think it's very unreasonable to expect to hear something new so soon, regardless of what a band member says. If I get the chance, I'll ask Ed next week about it.

Thing is, they already played a new song at that rehearsal (would like to have that footage) before the new years show i believe. So, why say your going to play a song you have already played....and then don't.
alexou
promises broken....it's not the first one from this band.

with 2 drummers, they could do a new song just fine. Live's catalog is easy to play.

For an audience that didn't see them for so long, the least you can do is hold your word. Just 1 new song.

Curious to hear The distance... i know they were using alot of playbacks in the Shinn era. Was there some for this song. They use the strings of LJ, so it's possible.
LiveForNow
QUOTE(alexou @ Nov 9 2017, 11:59 am) *

promises broken....it's not the first one from this band.

with 2 drummers, they could do a new song just fine. Live's catalog is easy to play.

For an audience that didn't see them for so long, the least you can do is hold your word. Just 1 new song.

Curious to hear The distance... i know they were using alot of playbacks in the Shinn era. Was there some for this song. They use the strings of LJ, so it's possible.

They played The Distance with Shinn? Can someone please post a video of that?
Srx17

What do you mean they were using a lot of playbacks?
alexou
they didn't play the distance with Shinn of course.

By playback, I mean backing tracks. With Shinn, they used some of the studio voice effects and music effects to add to the songs. Honnestly I wasn't fond of it. I saw Sirens Call live without backing tracks and I prefered that to when they started to use the backing tracks when the record came out. 6310 Rodgerton also had these tracks. LJ and TDAOC too.

They use backing tracks (the strings) in Lakini's Juice. You will notice in the NYE show, Ed wanted to wait a bit in the middle of Lakini's Juice, but he forgot he couldn't because there is a backing track, so they can't extend it like they want it to. Funny moment.
Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 7:14 am) *

You're seriously not going to hold Ed to statements made 6 months ago no.gif . They've been off the radar for 8 years as a foursome. No band is then all of a sudden going play / road test new material immediately after such a long absence.

Oh please. They've been professionals for 25 years. Stop making excuses for no new songs. Live dropped the ball on this a loooong time ago. I expected something last year when they announced their reunion. From October through December 2016 they could have easily cranked one song out. Especially with how Ed described he and Chad just clicked within their first few meetings and had new ideas right away. C'mon, I've seen garage bands perfect a new song in a couple of weeks. For an entire year to have gone by, with average 3 weeks down time between shows for them to work, and STILL no new material is a mistake that I've learned to accept. So, I wasn't expecting a new song in Africa. Don't expect a new song at the Australia shows either.
gerrycan70

South Africa Press Conference:

https://www.facebook.com/Jacaranda942/video...56090680767454/

Merica
Nice to see they finally played some interesting stuff. Hope it continues.

Also, yeah, there's no need to make excuses for them or baby them in any way about the lack of new stuff. They're just actively deciding not to play any new material for whatever reason. All the stuff about them still needing time to fully reconnect or the length of time they've been away being a factor etc - all that's rubbish IMO.

If they wanted to have a new song out there they could and would. They're professional musicians who can learn and bang something out as quickly as they want to. That's part of the reason why it's so frustrating when they play the same heritage act set list (plus Audioslave cover) time and again.
mattyeagles
QUOTE(Merica @ Nov 10 2017, 7:23 am) *

Nice to see they finally played some interesting stuff. Hope it continues.

Also, yeah, there's no need to make excuses for them or baby them in any way about the lack of new stuff. They're just actively deciding not to play any new material for whatever reason. All the stuff about them still needing time to fully reconnect or the length of time they've been away being a factor etc - all that's rubbish IMO.

If they wanted to have a new song out there they could and would. They're professional musicians who can learn and bang something out as quickly as they want to. That's part of the reason why it's so frustrating when they play the same heritage act set list (plus Audioslave cover) time and again.

Totally agree. I understand their reluctance to release their first new song but they should have one complete by now.
alexou
QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 10 2017, 9:31 am) *

Totally agree. I understand their reluctance to release their first new song but they should have one complete by now.

No doubt they have completed songs, more than 1 ready also, just a matter of control I guess. It is so 1994 ish way. I mean, when they released The turn, they released 4-5 songs before it actually came out with small videos. That was cool. I know we talk about a concert version of new song in that case, but they find ways for people to lose interest with them. Come on guys, be proud of your reunion and new work and SHOW it!
MightyHet
Finally found some videos of songs they played that aren't part of the usual set list. Thanks to Sven for uploading these. The band sounds great. Please bring this tour and set to the US and do a full Live show and not this festival stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgzst9sB0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOXjKZpENw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bQEYjj-wI
SecretInsomnia
QUOTE(MightyHet @ Nov 10 2017, 1:55 pm) *

Finally found some videos of songs they played that aren't part of the usual set list. Thanks to Sven for uploading these. The band sounds great. Please bring this tour and set to the US and do a full Live show and not this festival stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgzst9sB0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOXjKZpENw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bQEYjj-wI

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed them very much.
Man, first minute of Rattlesnake gave me - well at least a little - goosebumps. Ed with his low SS voice.
Chad appearing during TMH, with Ed singing over his solo. A thing we thought we might never see again a few years ago.
Ed holding the guitar in more songs btw, especially a electric guitar (Rattlesnake, RTTW) is something I haven’t seen for a long time, apart from Shit Towne
SecretInsomnia
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 8:33 pm) *

Haha that was quite a nice 'interview' btw (sound sucked tough).

For example the question about who put the setlists together (Ed, with Chad jumping around when he picks a obscure song lol.gif ). Well the recent choices are Eds.

Also thing about the guitarplayers. A bit hars to not call Adam at all when saying they have 'the best guitar line up ever' with Zak now, or something like that, but Eds response to Chad was funny: 'I'm playing on about twelve songs in the set, man! Working on it, man!'

Dave Grohl calling Gracey recently one the most original drummers of the 90ies.

Would love to hear a recording of The Distance in CapeTown, after hearing what Ed told about it.
Bremang
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 10:58 am) *

I just think it's very unreasonable to expect to hear something new so soon, regardless of what a band member says. If I get the chance, I'll ask Ed next week about it.

What's the point in asking Ed about performing new music if you think it doesn't matter what he says?

It's deceptive to repeatedly tell fans that new music will be played at specific gigs in order to sell tickets.

QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 10:58 am) *

No band is then all of a sudden going play / road test new material immediately after such a long absence.

Except for the thousands of examples of bands going away for 8 years and coming back playing new music on tour. Live has performed new music on every tour after announcing that they're preparing a new release. They already performed a new song. They've been touring for almost a year, nothing immediate about playing a new song at this point.
dangum
Videos by [Sven Woxholt]

Lightning Crashes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafZz9Rpqis

Rattlesnake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgzst9sB0

Turn My Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOXjKZpENw

Run to the Water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bQEYjj-wI

Edit: Just noticed MightHet already posted links to 3 of the 4 vids. Oops.
gerrycan70
No matter what the band does or doesn't do there will always be those few who do nothing but continue to criticize or find fault with them and the choices they make.

Want an example of a band who takes their time releasing new music, just ask any U2 fan about their frustrations at delays / promises made.

Just be grateful that they're back together and happy. The new music will come all in good time thumbsup.gif .

SJN1279
QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 12 2017, 9:39 pm) *

No matter what the band does or doesn't do there will always be those few who do nothing but continue to criticize or find fault with them and the choices they make.

Want an example of a band who takes their time releasing new music, just ask any U2 fan about their frustrations at delays / promises made.

Just be grateful that they're back together and happy. The new music will come all in good time thumbsup.gif .

I think they should bring their reunion tour back to the US and Europe ASAP. New music will come, but it isn't needed as of yet. Full headlining sets would be very welcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.