Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live at ACL (Austin TX) October 6th-15th
Fans of Live forum > Live / Ed Kowalczyk / The Gracious Few > Live - Tour dates & reviews
LiveattheOasis
This seemed pretty big to me.
dangum
Thanks. here's a link to the 2017 lineup
https://www.aclfestival.com/lineup/
Holy Slime
Title had me excited thinking they were doing an in studio recording for the ACL show, but it's cool they're playing the festival at least.
Voodoo Lady
This is a conundrum for me.
I've never seen Live in concert. I have to see them in this lifetime.
But, as I have mentioned here before, I am so over festivals. Looking at that lineup poster is super overwhelming.
I want to see Live by themselves, up close & personal, when they headline tour in 2018. But I'm going to really kick myself if they skip my state when they tour alone. Decisions; decisions.
Bremang
They are really low on that lineup unlike the other fests
dangum
Zak Loy posted this on instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BTrX911FpAj/

zakloy26#austin , I will be at @aclfestival this year with +LīVE+ , both weekends! this is going to be a fun one for me!! #tour2017 @freaks4live #zakloy #guitar #guitarist #festival -

Both weekends? Will Live be performing twice or is Zak also performing with another band?
Bremang
QUOTE(dangum @ May 5 2017, 3:36 am) *
Zak Loy posted this on instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/BTrX911FpAj/

Both weekends? Will Live be performing twice or is Zak also performing with another band?

Live will be playing twice for this festival, as it is a two weekend fest and they don't have the (weekend one only) mark next to their name on the lineup poster. Zak appears to be brought on as a guitarist for Live on stage.
dangum
Thanks Bremang! I didn't look at the fine print. Pretty cool that they get to perform twice. I wonder if Live will stay in Austin for the week and play an acoustic show at some local bar or something...
andymbj
QUOTE(Bremang @ May 4 2017, 6:13 pm) *

They are really low on that lineup unlike the other fests

It's a very diverse range of artists at this festival. There are loads of artists above Live on the billing that I've never even heard of, let alone listened to. I had thought the shortness of the band's name might have helped them appear higher on some of the other bills. Their popularity certainly isn't what it used to be.
Bremang
QUOTE(andymbj @ May 5 2017, 7:55 am) *

It's a very diverse range of artists at this festival. There are loads of artists above Live on the billing that I've never even heard of, let alone listened to. I had thought the shortness of the band's name might have helped them appear higher on some of the other bills. Their popularity certainly isn't what it used to be.

They seem pretty high on all other bills except this one
dangum
QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ May 5 2017, 6:55 am) *

I want to see Live by themselves, up close & personal, when they headline tour in 2018.

See them at the ACL festival and if they return in 2018 for a headlining show, see them again. Do you really want to be worrying for a whole year if you skip them this October?

Worst case scenario, you see Live perform at a festival, have a bad time but see them again in 2018. If they don't return to TX, just travel to a nearby state for a weekend.
Hoodstock
Ya, if you're in town you should go.
Voodoo Lady
I'm trying to make plans to. A co-worker of mine who goes to ACL every year says they publish the schedule of which bands are playing what days mid-June. So, instead of buying the 3 day pass, you can just do the one day pass. She also confirms that many of the bands who play both weekends will play smaller venues (mid-week) alone, even the Aztec here in San Antonio. We won't know of that until September. I'd much rather that happen. My gut tells me Live won't do that, but they could surprise, I guess. Also having a hard time at the moment finding pals who would go to this fest for one day. The reason, they don't want to pay ACL fest prices to see just one band. We'll see how it all turns out and how much damage it will do to my wallet.
Bremang
Live said they're only playing fests this year, and I believe them cause $
Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(Bremang @ May 7 2017, 6:06 pm) *

Live said they're only playing fests this year, and I believe them cause $

Hey, Live can still make money doing what they love after all these years, good for them. Go for it. I'd rather have them making money than be retired and non existent.
Hoodstock
QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ May 7 2017, 5:39 pm) *

I'm trying to make plans to. A co-worker of mine who goes to ACL every year says they publish the schedule of which bands are playing what days mid-June. So, instead of buying the 3 day pass, you can just do the one day pass. She also confirms that many of the bands who play both weekends will play smaller venues (mid-week) alone, even the Aztec here in San Antonio. We won't know of that until September. I'd much rather that happen. My gut tells me Live won't do that, but they could surprise, I guess. Also having a hard time at the moment finding pals who would go to this fest for one day. The reason, they don't want to pay ACL fest prices to see just one band. We'll see how it all turns out and how much damage it will do to my wallet.

Well .... there's always Live At The Paradisio hehe.gif
Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(Hoodstock @ May 7 2017, 8:00 pm) *

Well .... there's always Live At The Paradisio hehe.gif

Yup, and YouTube.
Paula ATX
If you plan to come to Austin and want to meet up with other Live fans, we have a Texas FOL group on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/foltexas/

Also, I hope Live will schedule a "late night" concert outside of the festival which is common for bands playing the festival.
Hope to see you in Texas!
Paula
Paula ATX
Live is performing on each Saturday of the festival. If you want to meet up to see them together, find our group: FOL Texas on Facebook

Tickets: www.aclfestival.com

Here is a link to the meet up for the second weekend. https://www.facebook.com/events/1360902037365570/?ti=cl
Voodoo Lady
https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1R8Z48Y8H1W1...tch_live_button

Possible live stream of ACL Fest with Red Bull TV.
MightyHet
Hello, any info on what time Live is playing or if there's single day tickets for Saturday? Any chance of a late night one off show like they did in Chicago?
dangum
QUOTE(MightyHet @ Oct 3 2017, 12:34 am) *

Hello, any info on what time Live is playing or if there's single day tickets for Saturday?

4-5pm according to schedule
https://www.aclfestival.com/schedule-weeken...rday-2017-10-07

Doesn't look like there are any single Saturday tickets left
https://www.aclfestival.com/tickets/

Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(MightyHet @ Oct 2 2017, 11:34 am) *

Any chance of a late night one off show like they did in Chicago?

Doesn't look like it.
And I'm bummed. sad.gif

Can't. Wait. Until. They. Start. Headlining.
Voodoo Lady
http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/entertain...home/740359001/

Live will indeed be on the Red Bull live stream, Saturday at 5 pm (CDT), Channel 1.
dangum
Thanks for the info, that is great news!
dangum
IPB Image
1. All Over You
2. Operation Spirit
3. Pain Lies on the Rierside
4. The Dolphin's Cry
5.. Selling the Drama
6. I Walk The Line
7. I Alone
8. Lakini's Juice
10. White, Diiscussion
11. I Am The Highway
12. Lightning Crashes
throwing_cheetahs
Who the hell is playing keyboards? Have they been doing this recently, because i just noticed it watching the live stream.

**Ed's fired up on Lakini's Juice
**Wish Ed would just go off on stage...like the old days....i think he still has it in him
**They did their thing....i really want to hear new stuff though.
Voodoo Lady
I'm thinking the keyboard is a backing track?

Anyway, they killed it. Highlight for me was "I Alone." -The crowd got into it there.
Ed sounds like he did in the 90s. smile.gif

They are showing it again on the streaming channel at 7 CDT.
dangum
The full show can be downloaded from here:

[Video] Live - 2017-10-07 Austin City Limits Music Festival 1080p webcast

I will upload it to Mediafire and maybe YouTube in a couple of days.
dangum
Review:

http://music.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/10/...d-acl-fest-set/

LĪVE sells the drama in epic, hit-filled ACL Fest set
October 7, 2017 | Filed in: ACL Fest 2017

Credit to LĪVE’s consummate showmanship and seemingly endless collection of hits that their Saturday afternoon set at ACL managed to be muscularly epic, subtly spiritual and completely out-of-place all at once.

The York, Pennsylvania outfit’s brand of melodramatic stadium rock goes tragically underrepresented at this festival, whose patrons would much rather turn up to Chance the Rapper or ugly-cry to Angel Olsen than pump their fists to post-grunge anthems that topped the charts when they were still in diapers. Still, the mid-sized audience inevitably succumbed to the treasure trove of hits from the band’s 1994 breakout album, “Throwing Copper,” which sold a staggering eight million copies in the United States alone and spawned chest-pumping anthems “All Over You,” “I Alone” and “Lightning Crashes.” Frankly, they don’t make ’em like this anymore.

LĪVE understood their place among the lineup, and they dutifully served these hits in succession, rewarding the diehard fans in the middle of the crowd and winning over the skeptics on the outskirts. Guitarist Chad Taylor wrung robust power chords from his Les Paul as singer Ed Kowalczyk prowled the stage and ascended the drum riser, reprising his role as a shaved-head, alpha-male Bono. The 46-year-old singer had good reason to wear sunglasses at a daytime festival, but you know damn well he still would’ve kept them on if they were headlining an arena at sundown.

Kowalczyk eyed the audience hungrily as an orchestral backing track swelled to introduce the band’s 1999 hit “The Dolphin’s Cry” (the title of which tells you everything you need to know about mainstream rock radio at the turn of the century). He spread his arms wide and dropped to his knees to drive home the transcendent chorus: “See the road rise up to meet us / It’s in the air we breathe tonight / Love will lead us, she wil lead us!”

Indeed, something was in the air during the band’s masterful performance—and no, I don’t mean drugs. That something was gratitude, as Kowalczyk split acrimoniously from his bandmates in 2009 and only rejoined them last year. But the frontman had no interest in airing their dirty laundry onstage.

“We took a little break from LIVE, but oh, you know, whatever,” Kowalczyk said jokingly. “I don’t even give a shit what the story is anymore. We’re back!”

Back indeed, and with a vengeance, as they tore through their hit-filled discography with the same vigor as in their heyday. Kowalczyk’s full-throated roar and tender vibrato took front-and-center on originals and covers alike, including a powerful take on Johnny Cash’s “I Walk the Line” and a tender rendition of Chris Cornell’s “I Am the Highway.”

As they geared up for their logical set-closer “Lightning Crashes,” Kowalczyk left the audience with words of encouragement. “I’m gonna put this song out as a prayer, that this world realizes that we are one,” he said to yelps of recognition and approval. “We are brothers and sisters in that oneness. I love you guys so much. Thanks again.”

LīVE sold the drama in their Saturday performance, and the audience lapped it up. But they also sold something bigger: a call for unity, a balm for a troubled spirit, and a promise of life after death.
Merica
Same old.
Heather
QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ Oct 7 2017, 7:44 pm) *

I'm thinking the keyboard is a backing track?

Anyway, they killed it. Highlight for me was "I Alone." -The crowd got into it there.
Ed sounds like he did in the 90s. smile.gif

They are showing it again on the streaming channel at 7 CDT.

Thought they sounded amazing too! Ed was spot on. Not digging that keyboard thing. They didn't do that when I saw them in July. Hoping it goes away. Haha! Come on 2018! I need some more Live shows in my life!
Bob
Couple interesting drummer things I noticed: Robin Diaz is still a backup drummer playing along with the main rhythm, but he's also doing random percussion, which I thought was super annoying in Operation Spirit. Every time I heard two snare drums at the same time, I winced. Just doesn't sound right.

I originally thought that Gracey has switched to Ahead drumsticks, but it turns out they're just black Pro Mark sticks with a special grip coating. The more you know!

Thanks for posting the video, Dan! I really appreciate it.
Srx17
Has anyone taken the individual tracks, yet, and converted them into an mp3 collection?

QUOTE(dangum @ Oct 7 2017, 10:37 pm) *

LiveForNow
I Alone and Lightning Crashes were uploaded to Red Bull TV as part of their Best Performances playlist.

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1SHA7M5D521...9b-15edf741b202

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1SHA7NENW21...9b-15edf741b202
Hoodstock
QUOTE(dangum @ Oct 7 2017, 10:37 pm) *

An upload to YouTube would be awesome if you have the time.
dangum
QUOTE(Hoodstock @ Oct 11 2017, 5:50 am) *

An upload to YouTube would be awesome if you have the time.

I uploaded it to YouTube, but it was blocked worldwide by LiveNation so I removed it. Just download it from my Mediafire link instead.
Srx17
Is there a bootleg made off of this one yet?
dangum
Was anybody at the 14 of October show. Was the setlist different to last week's show?
dangum
Nice audience shot of Operation Spirit from week #1 of ACL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjqCBISCoA
Voodoo Lady
QUOTE(dangum @ Oct 14 2017, 8:26 pm) *

Was anybody at the 14 of October show. Was the setlist different to last week's show?

I highly doubt it was different. No new songs is one reason why I didn't go.

Looking online and this says it was the same....
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/live/2017/zi...x-1be3e558.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.