Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: feel the quiet river rage
Fans of Live forum > Live / Ed Kowalczyk / The Gracious Few > Live - Tour dates & reviews
Sonic Tonic
Here's one question. I was just listening to all my music on random and FTQRR came up and realized that I never heard/seen a live version of it. Is there one out there? I checked youtube and nothing? Anyone have any audio/video of it?
OutToDry
Only as a snippet to I Alone in concert:

2000.03.07 Entertainment Centre Newcastle Australia
=====================================================================01 Where fishes Go
02 Operation Spirit
03 All Over You
04 Selling The Drama
05 The Distance
06 Sparkle
07 Run To The Water
08 Imagine
09 I Alone & FeelThe Quiet River Rage
10 Voodoo Lady
11 The Dolphin's Cry
12 Lakini's Juice
13 They Stood Up For love
14 Lighting Crashes (cut)
15 Outro

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1T8T8JV6
Sonic Tonic
I will say "damn" on behalf all of us. I'm sure that's a sure stipulation
Sonic Tonic
and as long as I'm on this topic.. any vids of SUN??? (by the way, how the fuck do so many of you hate this song??? it's one of the best for me on this album) The drumming is great. funky if you don't agree as far as Gracey is considered then huh.gif
thefunkyredcaboose
QUOTE(Sonic Tonic @ May 5 2011, 7:10 pm) *

and as long as I'm on this topic.. any vids of SUN??? (by the way, how the fuck do so many of you hate this song??? it's one of the best for me on this album) The drumming is great. funky if you don't agree as far as Gracey is considered then huh.gif

Ha! I love the tom parts in that song!

I've always wanted to hear the original version with the choir.
World Dreamer
I remember someone somewhere saying that Lakinis Juice was originally a piano/acoustic song? Is that accurate? I'd love to hear a version like that.
+Ed+
QUOTE(World Dreamer @ May 6 2011, 4:31 pm) *

I remember someone somewhere saying that Lakinis Juice was originally a piano/acoustic song? Is that accurate? I'd love to hear a version like that.

It is not accurate.

Where did you get this information?
World Dreamer
QUOTE(+Ed+ @ May 6 2011, 8:31 am) *

It is not accurate.

Where did you get this information?

I am not entirely sure but I really feel like I heard it from a reliable source whether it was an article or interview. I will see if I can dig up where I heard that.
Hoodstock
QUOTE(Sonic Tonic @ May 5 2011, 7:10 pm) *

any vids of SUN??? (by the way, how the fuck do so many of you hate this song??? it's one of the best for me on this album)

How you ask? Ed single handedly ruined this song with his lyrics and vocals!

sun sun merciful one
sun sun
sun sun won't you lay down your light on us
sun sun

Possibly one of the cheesiest refrains Ed ever did. For me these four lines make this song go from a rocking song that is a sure hit to total garbage.

That - and Ed's high pitch wailing of SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN! vomit.gif
SecretInsomnia
QUOTE(World Dreamer @ May 6 2011, 7:31 am) *

I don't think that's accurate, as they always tell the story how Chad T. came up with the heavy hguitarriffs DURING the process of creating that song.
World Dreamer
QUOTE(SecretInsomnia @ May 14 2011, 8:55 am) *

I don't think that's accurate, as they always tell the story how Chad T. came up with the heavy hguitarriffs DURING the process of creating that song.

Very possible. Could be that I am thinking of a different song.
dangum
QUOTE(SecretInsomnia @ May 14 2011, 10:55 pm) *

Are you talking about the main guitar riff from Lakini's Juice? Because that was purely the work of CT and was written before it was taken to the band.
Pokey
Yeah I seem to remember CT saying he sat upstairs at his place one night getting drunk off wine playing his guitar loudly. he had the riff in his head and almost the entire song in his head and was trying to recreate it before bringing it to the band.
World Dreamer
What I remember hearing is that Ed originally thought it (lyrics) would be great for the piano or an acoustic sound. Then CT broke out the riff and the rest is history.

Again, I could be completely mistaken.
sh4rpz
QUOTE(World Dreamer @ May 16 2011, 1:07 pm) *

What I remember hearing is that Ed originally thought it (lyrics) would be great for the piano or an acoustic sound. Then CT broke out the riff and the rest is history.

Again, I could be completely mistaken.

I think I know where the confusion comes from:

In the Ed Interview section of Awake DVD, Ed speaks about the Yin and Yang of the elements of LIVE's music, notably in Lakini's Juice, the lyric and then the sound of heavy guitar...

He said " 'It was an evening I shared with the sun' -- you could play it on a piano -- that makes up the Yin & Yang of the song"

I don't think he literally meant it was ever played or intended to be played that way. This is how I think he meant it anyway.

Interesting though.
sh4rpz
Just to satisfy the OP, there should be a video of LIVE @ Rockpalast Christmas Special I think from 18 December 1999 track #13 I Alone where Ed sings a bit of "Bittersweet Symphony" and then continues into a bit of FTQRR...

The mp3 of this is quite common, but if you don't have it, let me know will gladly upload it. As I said, I'm pretty sure a pro-shot video of this performance is up on YouTube.
Hoodstock
The story of LJ is that Ed and Chad were messing around. Ed left for a while and Chad came up with the riff for the song. He played it for a few hours straight until Ed got back so that he wouldn't forget it.

When Ed got back he started laying down the refrain and the song went from there.
OutToDry
..................more Wine..........Cuz I got to have it.
..................more skin...........Cuz I got to eat it.
OutToDry
mp3 was uploaded on page 1. I'd like to see that video, I forget if I've seen it before.
sh4rpz
QUOTE(OutToDry @ May 16 2011, 4:24 pm) *

mp3 was uploaded on page 1. I'd like to see that video, I forget if I've seen it before.

The mp3 I was referring to is a different one though. Includes Bittersweet Symphony and then a bit of FTQRR
SecretInsomnia
QUOTE(sh4rpz @ May 16 2011, 3:58 pm) *

The mp3 of this is quite common, but if you don't have it, let me know will gladly upload it. As I said, I'm pretty sure a pro-shot video of this performance is up on YouTube.

yeah, I remember seeing a video too.
OutToDry
Gotcha.
Hoodstock
QUOTE(OutToDry @ May 16 2011, 5:22 pm) *

..................more Wine..........Cuz I got to have it.
..................more skin...........Cuz I got to eat it.

Let Me Ride

hump.gif
dangum
QUOTE(Hoodstock @ May 17 2011, 6:12 am) *

The story of LJ is that Ed and Chad were messing around. Ed left for a while and Chad came up with the riff for the song. He played it for a few hours straight until Ed got back so that he wouldn't forget it.

When Ed got back he started laying down the refrain and the song went from there.

Chad Taylor has a slightly different take on how it was formed.

QUOTE(Pokey @ May 17 2011, 1:03 am) *

Yeah I seem to remember CT saying he sat upstairs at his place one night getting drunk off wine playing his guitar loudly. he had the riff in his head and almost the entire song in his head and was trying to recreate it before bringing it to the band.

Yep, that's right.

A video of CT discussing this topic can be found here:
Interview with Chad Taylor (2000), from the Australian TV show 'The Drum'
Hoodstock
QUOTE(dangum @ May 16 2011, 9:13 pm) *

Chad Taylor has a slightly different take on how it was formed.
Yep, that's right.

A video of CT discussing this topic can be found here:
Interview with Chad Taylor (2000), from the Australian TV show 'The Drum'

My story came from Ed. That's what he said in an interview on MTV sometime around when the album came out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.