Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Article

A reunited Live rocks again at Musikfest in Bethlehem

By Brian Bingaman, bbingaman@21st-centurymedia.com, @brianbingaman on Twitter

Posted: 08/01/17, 12:43 PM EDT

Certain friendships never die.

At the end of last year the original lineup of the alternative rock band Live — Ed Kowalczyk, Chad Taylor, Patrick Dahlheimer and Chad Gracey — officially announced their reunion.

After scoring hit singles with “Lightning Crashes,” “I Alone,” “All Over You” and “Lakini’s Juice;” selling more than 22 million albums worldwide and earning two No. 1 charting albums with “Throwing Copper” and “Secret Samadhi;” they last performed together in July 2009. Lead singer Kowalczyk departed to pursue a solo career, while Taylor, Dahlheimer and Gracey joined forces with Kevin Martin and Sean Hennessy of Candlebox to form a group called The Gracious Few. For a time, Live replaced Kowalczyk with singer Chris Shinn.

In a phone interview, Kowalczyk said that it was “two and a half years ago exactly” when “the technical things that were keeping us apart settled down.” According to Kowalczyk, all it took to break the ice was a text message to Taylor asking how his kids were doing.

“We started the band when we were 13 years old. We were known as Public Affection when we were in high school. We were 15 or 16 when we named it that. We played a mix of our own material and cover tunes by R.E.M., The Cure, U2, all that ‘80s alternative rock,” he said.

Taylor and Kowalczyk met up for a beer in their childhood stomping grounds in York, and that’s when the reunion rumors began. “It was like old times. It’s hard for us to be incognito in York, Pennsylvania,” Kowalczyk said with a laugh.

While they have “five or six” new songs in various stages of development, you probably won’t hear them during the Live concert Aug. 7 at Musikfest. “In a festival setting, we get 75 minutes, 60 minutes, 50 minutes. We haven’t put a new one in (the set) yet,” he said.

What you’re more likely to get are tracks from the double platinum “Secret Samadhi,” which marks its 20th anniversary this year. Calling it an enduring fan favorite, Kowalczyk said that album represents “a whole different color emotionally from anything we had done.”

When asked if he gets to see many performances on the festival circuit while on tour with Live, Kowalczyk said he wants to be there for the Aug. 6 Father John Misty show on the Sands Steel Stage at Musikfest. So far he’s watched Tom Petty, The Foo Fighters and Band of Horses from the wings of various stages. “It’s one of the main reasons I love to play festivals,” he said.

“Come on out to Musikfest. We’re looking forward to this semi-homecoming Pennsylvania show. We have a history in pretty much all of Pennsylvania,” said Kowalczyk, referring to Live’s original managers, David Sestak, who’s from Easton, and the late Peter Freedman, who was from Lancaster.

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20170...NMENT/170809989

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Heather
post Aug 3 2017, 11:03 pm
Post #3

Rattlesnake

Group Icon

Heather is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

Wait, what?! I thought this show was considered a headlining show. Why is Ed talking like it's a limited time festival show? And what would that even have to do with whether or not they play a new song? I saw a new song during their rehearsal and not only did it sound perfected it also fit perfectly into the 50 minute set they had rehearsed for days. I don't understand these excuses. For the love of god play a new song already! Jesus!

+Quote Post
andymbj
post Aug 4 2017, 12:08 am
Post #4

FansOfLive Sophomore

andymbj is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Heather @ Aug 3 2017, 11:03 pm) *

Wait, what?! I thought this show was considered a headlining show. Why is Ed talking like it's a limited time festival show? And what would that even have to do with whether or not they play a new song? I saw a new song during their rehearsal and not only did it sound perfected it also fit perfectly into the 50 minute set they had rehearsed for days. I don't understand these excuses. For the love of god play a new song already! Jesus!

Agreed. I'm in two minds whether i'll even bother going to their Brisbane gig. Not only is it an outdoor concert in storm season but if they're only going to churn out the same tired old setlists and ham up their 'brotherhood' on stage..well i'm not sure it's worth the ticket price.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Aug 4 2017, 12:58 am
Post #5

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

I agree... not playing a new song because of a "festival setting" is a dumb excuse.
I kind of feel like getting that thrown into the article was a conspiracy to shut us all up from asking when they're going to play one. And yea...why did they ever play a new song in a rehearsal and then just put it on the back burner for months? I'm not buying into, "oh, they must be reworking it." They've had plenty of two week breaks between shows to rework things.

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Aug 4 2017, 8:00 am
Post #6

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ Aug 4 2017, 1:58 am) *

I agree... not playing a new song because of a "festival setting" is a dumb excuse.
I kind of feel like getting that thrown into the article was a conspiracy to shut us all up from asking when they're going to play one. And yea...why did they ever play a new song in a rehearsal and then just put it on the back burner for months? I'm not buying into, "oh, they must be reworking it." They've had plenty of two week breaks between shows to rework things.

Hopefully they plan a new song tonight at the show in Chicago. No excuse not to as its not a festival show.

+Quote Post
FishOutaWater
post Aug 4 2017, 8:26 am
Post #7

Cheetah

Group Icon

FishOutaWater is off the scale  ()

Anybody know if this is considered a festival show with a shorter setlist? I thought (and hoped) it would be a headlining show.

+Quote Post
SJN1279
post Aug 4 2017, 9:36 am
Post #8

Lakini

Group Icon

SJN1279 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(FishOutaWater @ Aug 4 2017, 9:26 am) *

Anybody know if this is considered a festival show with a shorter setlist? I thought (and hoped) it would be a headlining show.

Show starts at 7, and there are two opening acts. Show ends at 10. I would think the set would be between 75 and 90 min.

They should play new music when they are ready to do so. Their first new song has to be great, and there is no rush on it. I also think they should release an EP next year instead of an LP. Create the best 4/5 songs they can and tour behind it.

Just my opinion though.

+Quote Post
throwing_cheetahs
post Aug 4 2017, 10:14 am
Post #9

Gas Hed

Group Icon

throwing_cheetahs is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SJN1279 @ Aug 4 2017, 10:36 am) *
They should play new music when they are ready to do so. Their first new song has to be great, and there is no rush on it.

Just my opinion though.
No rush on it? They have already played the new song before, so why not play it regularly.

This post has been edited by throwing_cheetahs: Aug 4 2017, 11:58 am

+Quote Post
Heather
post Aug 4 2017, 10:51 am
Post #10

Rattlesnake

Group Icon

The song is great and there is a rush on it. They've been together now for months and claim to have had these songs the whole time. What is the hold up? I could not have been more excited when they got back together. I literally cried tears of joy when I first saw them but damn, I am already getting bored. They seriously need to step it up or what is the point of even getting back together?

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Aug 4 2017, 11:13 am
Post #11

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SJN1279 @ Aug 4 2017, 10:36 am) *

Show starts at 7, and there are two opening acts. Show ends at 10. I would think the set would be between 75 and 90 min.

They should play new music when they are ready to do so. Their first new song has to be great, and there is no rush on it. I also think they should release an EP next year instead of an LP. Create the best 4/5 songs they can and tour behind it.

Just my opinion though.

Tonight is the perfect opportunity to play a new song. Its a Live concert and people are there to see them.

+Quote Post
Hoodstock
post Aug 5 2017, 9:53 am
Post #12

The Voice of Reason

Group Icon

Hoodstock is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Aug 4 2017, 12:13 pm) *

Tonight is the perfect opportunity to play a new song. Its a Live concert and people are there to see them.

After not playing one at the solo Chicago show I'd assume it's not going to happen soon. I'm guessing it's for one of two reasons:

1. They've decided that when they release new music they truly want it to be new. Anything played early will find it's way to the internet and would be spoiled prior to a release. To me this would make sense if they are only doing an EP.

2. They've decided that they are focused on reestablishing the brand and their casual fan base. The core is there and it will be there. The typical casual fan wants to hear the songs they know, not some new song they are unfamiliar with. They want to recapture interested people with their core songs. New songs will come later when they've accomplished this with the reunion tour.

+Quote Post
dangum
post Aug 7 2017, 7:58 pm
Post #13

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Brief video interview with Ed live on TV

http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-valley/one...zyk-1/600917252

+Quote Post
Heather
post Aug 7 2017, 10:01 pm
Post #14

Rattlesnake

Group Icon

Ok, so the setlist was the same as always except Ed did Turn My Head instead of Heaven. But, I am not even complaining. They sounded so damn good! I love this fucking band and every time I see them I remember why!

+Quote Post
SJN1279
post Aug 7 2017, 10:22 pm
Post #15

Lakini

Group Icon

SJN1279 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Heather @ Aug 7 2017, 11:01 pm) *

Ok, so the setlist was the same as always except Ed did Turn My Head instead of Heaven. But, I am not even complaining. They sounded so damn good! I love this fucking band and every time I see them I remember why!

Loved the encore of Turn My Head, Mirror Song, and Run to the Water.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 users are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: July 18th, 2018 - 1:58 am