post Aug 9 2018, 7:54 pm
Post #1

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

https://lancasteronline.com/features/entert...d65c76f193.html

Live's Ed Kowalczyk: 'It felt so good to be back together'
JENELLE JANCI | Staff Writer 10 hrs ago (0)

It started with a beer.

About three years ago, Live frontman Ed Kowalczyk and guitarist Chad Taylor met for a drink. The very next day, the musicians decided to jam together.

It was the first time in years they had played together following Kowalczyk’s exit from Live in 2009.

“It felt so good to be back together,” Kowalczyk said. “It felt so natural. And there was also this sort of level of surprise and gratitude for it, because I don’t think anybody expected it.”

Now, with the drama of yesteryear behind them, Kowalczyk says the band’s excited to be looking ahead to the future with a new, louder-than-ever single and a string of dates with old friends Counting Crows. The tour will visit Hersheypark Stadium on Friday, giving the York-founded band a chance to celebrate the reunion in a big way with local fans.

Kowalczyk, Taylor, Chad Gracey and Patrick Dahlheimer started performing together in the ’80s while students at a York County junior high school. All four original members graduated from William Penn High School in 1989.

These days, only Taylor and Dahlheimer still live in central Pennsylvania. Kowalczyk lives in Connecticut, and Gracey resides in California.

The reunion has given Kowalczyk good reason to return to his hometown more often, though. He says York’s cultural renaissance is clear.

“I remember growing up just wanting to get out of there so badly; now it’s a place I can’t wait to get to, to be honest with you,” Kowalczyk says.

Live rose to prominence in the ’90s with hits including “Lightning Crashes,” which topped Billboard’s Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for 10 consecutive weeks. Kowalczyk’s departure from the band in 2009 marked the beginning of a three-year hiatus. Vocalist Chris Shinn filled in for Kowalczyk beginning in 2012.

Then, in 2015, Kowalczyk says, he and Taylor started reconnecting.

“The sort of early drama of the breakup had passed, and we had finally had this space that everything had settled out,” Kowalczyk says. “I think just the wealth of all of our good times together was allowed to kind of creep back up, and everybody just missed each other.”

The band waited a year to announce the reunion, going public with the news in November 2016. Last year, the original lineup began touring again with dates at major festivals like Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits. The band also performed alongside Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at California festival Arroyo Seco, just months before Petty’s death. Kowalczyk describes that experience as “beautiful.”

“We connected with Dave (Grohl) in Foo Fighters, had this really amazing summer, and then we took that energy right back into the studio and found, ‘Oh man, this stuff is rocking way harder than what we were up to when we just got back together,’ ” Kowalczyk says.

Kowalczyk says he was more than ready to crank up the volume after five years of performing acoustically during his time away from Live.

The band took that gusto to Taylor’s state-of-the-art Think Loud Studios in York, which Kowalczyk describes as “30,000 feet of man cave.” The result was “Love Lounge”: a fiery, bold new sound for the alternative rock group.

Kowalczyk says the track is indicative of more new music to come from the band. Four more songs will be on the EP, he says. Three are in the same vein of “Love Lounge,” and the fourth is a midtempo cover song he’d rather not reveal until the EP’s release.

“Love Lounge” is the only new song in the band’s set, which touches on nearly every album in the band’s career.

Kowalczyk says Live’s new, fuller sound is bolstered further in concert by the addition of two touring members, guitarist Zak Loy and drummer Robin Diaz.

“It’s a really robust set,” Kowalczyk says. “We kind of go everywhere. But we go everywhere with this new sort of engine in the car, which is awesome.”

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dangum
post Aug 9 2018, 8:03 pm
Post #2

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

EP will be 5 tracks in length. Includes a cover.

Kowalczyk says the track is indicative of more new music to come from the band. Four more songs will be on the EP, he says. Three are in the same vein of “Love Lounge,” and the fourth is a midtempo cover song he’d rather not reveal until the EP’s release.

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Aug 9 2018, 8:17 pm
Post #3

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

That cover was already revealed and I would prefer originals on the EP.

Between Love lounge, the instagram clip, and the cover song, that gives Live two more chances to put a good song on the EP.

+Quote Post
SJN1279
post Aug 9 2018, 8:39 pm
Post #4

Lakini

Group Icon

SJN1279 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bremang @ Aug 9 2018, 9:17 pm) *

That cover was already revealed and I would prefer originals on the EP.

Between Love lounge, the instagram clip, and the cover song, that gives Live two more chances to put a good song on the EP.

I don't believe the song they are playing now is the cover song on the EP. EP's often include a cover.

This post has been edited by SJN1279: Aug 9 2018, 8:40 pm

+Quote Post
san_sao
post Aug 9 2018, 10:25 pm
Post #5

FansOfLive Junior

san_sao is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SJN1279 @ Aug 9 2018, 9:39 pm) *

I don't believe the song they are playing now is the cover song on the EP. EP's often include a cover.

The cover tune wasn't recorded at Think Loud, right? They've been working with that blues-rock oriented producer, so my assumption was that it was either for a later full-length, or some sort of tribute record.

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Aug 10 2018, 2:58 pm
Post #6

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SJN1279 @ Aug 9 2018, 9:39 pm) *

That's good news if that Reed song is not on the EP.

As far as EP's often including covers, what a silly thing to say. Nothing about an EP especially lends itself to cover songs. In this case I wouldn't prefer it. I want good original Live songs. Hopefully from the actual members of Live.

+Quote Post
SecretInsomnia
post Aug 10 2018, 3:28 pm
Post #7

Lakini

Group Icon

SecretInsomnia is off the scale  ()

God don’t ever change?
Oh wait, that became something else.

I am the highway?

+Quote Post
san_sao
post Aug 10 2018, 3:54 pm
Post #8

FansOfLive Junior

san_sao is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SecretInsomnia @ Aug 10 2018, 4:28 pm) *
I am the highway?
I had been hoping for a quality studio version of this, so hopefully you're right. Turns out Ann Wilson from Heart did a nice take on it too.

+Quote Post
Hoodstock
post Aug 10 2018, 10:09 pm
Post #9

The Voice of Reason

Group Icon

Hoodstock is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(san_sao @ Aug 10 2018, 4:54 pm) *

I had been hoping for a quality studio version of this, so hopefully you're right. Turns out Ann Wilson from Heart did a nice take on it too.

They've covered Imagine and Ed recently covered Lennon with Mind Games. Would be surprised if it's another song from the Beatles arena.

Hopefully it's not the Reed song. If the recording pops up on a tribute album that would be a nice bonus. More music!

This post has been edited by Hoodstock: Aug 10 2018, 10:10 pm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: August 21st, 2018 - 11:14 pm