Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auburn, WA (White River Amphitheatre), June 29, 2018
lylebeach
post Jun 29 2018, 11:04 pm
Post #1

FansOfLive Freshman

lylebeach is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

Live sounded very good. But I’m a little upset, because I’m a “”the turn” fan. They were par for the course. Same exact set list to Boise.... so “Yawn”. Was I entertained? Yes! I had fun. But sigh... I wish for so much better. They had a thing going with Chris Shinn. Do I love Ed? Yes! My very first concert I’ve ever been to back in 1995 for the Throwing Copper tour. It just doesn’t seem to fill my heart like I wanted it to. Look... these are real words from a man who has been a fan though everything. You want to hear the hits? You want to have a fun time? Then sure... come on out for the +Live+ summer tour. But don’t expect to experience the same thing that you remember from ‘94-99’. This is a fucking money grab. I hate to say that, but it is. I really hope that they saw the basically empty stands, and realized... the true fans will fill the seats for a more intimate show with the band we love.... Top, Iris, Freaks, and more. Anyway.... Long ramble short... sigh...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LiveForNow
post Jun 29 2018, 11:15 pm
Post #2

FansOfLive Junior

LiveForNow is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(lylebeach @ Jun 29 2018, 9:04 pm) *

Live sounded very good. But I’m a little upset, because I’m a “”the turn” fan. They were par for the course. Same exact set list to Boise.... so “Yawn”. Was I entertained? Yes! I had fun. But sigh... I wish for so much better. They had a thing going with Chris Shinn. Do I love Ed? Yes! My very first concert I’ve ever been to back in 1995 for the Throwing Copper tour. It just doesn’t seem to fill my heart like I wanted it to. Look... these are real words from a man who has been a fan though everything. You want to hear the hits? You want to have a fun time? Then sure... come on out for the +Live+ summer tour. But don’t expect to experience the same thing that you remember from ‘94-99’. This is a fucking money grab. I hate to say that, but it is. I really hope that they saw the basically empty stands, and realized... the true fans will fill the seats for a more intimate show with the band we love.... Top, Iris, Freaks, and more. Anyway.... Long ramble short... sigh...

Did you stay for CC? What was the attendance if you had to guess? What percentage came after live's set?

+Quote Post
lylebeach
post Jun 29 2018, 11:17 pm
Post #3

FansOfLive Freshman

And now... here I sit watching the god damn Counting Crows. This just feels so wrong.

+Quote Post
Bob
post Jun 30 2018, 12:17 am
Post #4

FansOfLive Senior

Bob is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(lylebeach @ Jun 29 2018, 9:04 pm) *

This is a stream of consciousness post before I forget anything.

I left right after Live got off the stage. I've seen CC with Live before and I'm not a fan, plus I didn't want to sit in the parking lot for an hour trying to get out with everyone else.

Lyle is correct in that it's the exact same set as Boise. The stands started empty, but by the time the encore came around, they were pretty packed. I was in the 10th row dead center, so I got a pretty good look at the crowd through the night. There was a nasty accident that delayed people getting in, so that could have been partly why the stands were empty for at least a few songs into the set. When we were walking in from the parking lot, they were playing Live over the speakers and I thought they were already on stage, but it was just part of soundcheck.

Love Lounge sounds much better live, but I still can't stand the song. I recorded audio, but it sounds like absolute garbage and not worth sharing. Sadly that's the only song my wife didn't record video of, so I don't have anything to share.

Some random notes:

Some of the sound sucked. Hard. You couldn't hear CT's guitar or backup vocals worth a damn. Same with CG's overhead mics. Robin's drums were mic'd, but nothing was coming through the speakers. Ed sounded great. Crystal clear. Sharp. Rested.

For the encore, Ed sings Heaven solo with an acoustic guitar. Then he starts TMH and CT comes out with an electric for the solo and end of the song, then everyone comes out to finish with LC. I really wish they'd flip it and end the main set with LC and end the encore with W,D. Ending on LC is such a downer, but as my wife said, *everyone* knows LC, so it makes sense from a casual fan perspective. From a hardcore fan prospective, it's unfortunate.

During The Distance, it felt like Zak's solo was cut off. I've seen video of his solo going on for at least 5 minutes, and it looked like he was even surprised it was cut early. I really like what he added to the song, so it bummed me out when it ended early.

It KILLS me to say this as a fan since 1996 and been to countless shows, but I agree with Lyle: It feels like they're going through the motions. There's no real passion in the songs, except for CG. He's still a monster on the drums and sweats his ass off, even if it's only for 70 minutes through the hits he's been playing for 20 years.

I don't think anyone expected "1999 Live" on this tour, but I expected a bit more passion and hunger for being back together and fresh at the start of this tour, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe that's my own fault by going in with preconceived notions that "this time it'll be better - Ed's back!", but it honestly felt to me like Live covering Live songs. They're 90% of the way there, but something's just off. Doesn't feel right, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong or missing. Maybe I'm just too invested given how long I've been a fan and what we've all been through in the last few years.

To Lyle: I also love The Turn, and am kicking myself for not seeing them when I had the chance. They didn't come to WA, so that wasn't really in the cards. Sadly, they've pretty much ripped that page out of the history books, so we'll have to deal with the content that we already have. I really like the Amazon Studio sessions, and there are some high quality Think Loud Studio sessions on YouTube for when we get nostalgic for that content.

My wife really wants to go to the show tomorrow in Ridgefield because we may never see Live again, or they might break up again, but I don't want to drive over 2 hours to see the exact same set with the exact same Ed beats for 70 minutes and then drive 2 hours home. Again, the 22 year old me would probably kick my ass, because from 1996-1999 I followed them all along the West Coast and those shows were electric and amazing, and I'll never forget them. That ship, however, has long sailed away.

I'm trying really hard to not be negative, because Live is my favorite band and I'm a drummer for 20+ years because of everything CG has done, but this just doesn't feel right to me. I'll still buy the new record and give it a shot, but I just can't hold my breath anymore.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Jun 30 2018, 1:12 am
Post #5

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bob @ Jun 30 2018, 12:17 am) *

Again, the 22 year old me would probably kick my ass, because from 1996-1999 I followed them all along the West Coast and those shows were electric and amazing, and I'll never forget them. That ship, however, has long sailed away.

I’ve enjoyed reading your review of the show. Thank you for your honesty.
This part makes me sad. Been a fan since seeing Operation Spirit on MTV when it was new. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I never got to see them back then and it sucks that ship has long sailed away. I’m super excited to have a finally, after 25 years, to have a ticket for the Austin Texas show. But then again, based on YouTube concerts of old, I’m worried I’ll be let down and end up feeling like you feel right now. But I have to do this. Seeing them is on my bucket list. I landed 7th row. Am hoping it will be sorta empty and I’ll be able to move even closer. Maybe somehow that will make it better?

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Jun 30 2018, 9:32 am
Post #6

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bob @ Jun 30 2018, 1:17 am) *

This is a stream of consciousness post before I forget anything.

I left right after Live got off the stage. I've seen CC with Live before and I'm not a fan, plus I didn't want to sit in the parking lot for an hour trying to get out with everyone else.

Lyle is correct in that it's the exact same set as Boise. The stands started empty, but by the time the encore came around, they were pretty packed. I was in the 10th row dead center, so I got a pretty good look at the crowd through the night. There was a nasty accident that delayed people getting in, so that could have been partly why the stands were empty for at least a few songs into the set. When we were walking in from the parking lot, they were playing Live over the speakers and I thought they were already on stage, but it was just part of soundcheck.

Love Lounge sounds much better live, but I still can't stand the song. I recorded audio, but it sounds like absolute garbage and not worth sharing. Sadly that's the only song my wife didn't record video of, so I don't have anything to share.

Some random notes:

Some of the sound sucked. Hard. You couldn't hear CT's guitar or backup vocals worth a damn. Same with CG's overhead mics. Robin's drums were mic'd, but nothing was coming through the speakers. Ed sounded great. Crystal clear. Sharp. Rested.

For the encore, Ed sings Heaven solo with an acoustic guitar. Then he starts TMH and CT comes out with an electric for the solo and end of the song, then everyone comes out to finish with LC. I really wish they'd flip it and end the main set with LC and end the encore with W,D. Ending on LC is such a downer, but as my wife said, *everyone* knows LC, so it makes sense from a casual fan perspective. From a hardcore fan prospective, it's unfortunate.

During The Distance, it felt like Zak's solo was cut off. I've seen video of his solo going on for at least 5 minutes, and it looked like he was even surprised it was cut early. I really like what he added to the song, so it bummed me out when it ended early.

It KILLS me to say this as a fan since 1996 and been to countless shows, but I agree with Lyle: It feels like they're going through the motions. There's no real passion in the songs, except for CG. He's still a monster on the drums and sweats his ass off, even if it's only for 70 minutes through the hits he's been playing for 20 years.

I don't think anyone expected "1999 Live" on this tour, but I expected a bit more passion and hunger for being back together and fresh at the start of this tour, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe that's my own fault by going in with preconceived notions that "this time it'll be better - Ed's back!", but it honestly felt to me like Live covering Live songs. They're 90% of the way there, but something's just off. Doesn't feel right, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong or missing. Maybe I'm just too invested given how long I've been a fan and what we've all been through in the last few years.

To Lyle: I also love The Turn, and am kicking myself for not seeing them when I had the chance. They didn't come to WA, so that wasn't really in the cards. Sadly, they've pretty much ripped that page out of the history books, so we'll have to deal with the content that we already have. I really like the Amazon Studio sessions, and there are some high quality Think Loud Studio sessions on YouTube for when we get nostalgic for that content.

My wife really wants to go to the show tomorrow in Ridgefield because we may never see Live again, or they might break up again, but I don't want to drive over 2 hours to see the exact same set with the exact same Ed beats for 70 minutes and then drive 2 hours home. Again, the 22 year old me would probably kick my ass, because from 1996-1999 I followed them all along the West Coast and those shows were electric and amazing, and I'll never forget them. That ship, however, has long sailed away.

I'm trying really hard to not be negative, because Live is my favorite band and I'm a drummer for 20+ years because of everything CG has done, but this just doesn't feel right to me. I'll still buy the new record and give it a shot, but I just can't hold my breath anymore.

Thanks for the review. You’re not being unreasonably negative. For me, it’s inexcusable that they choose to be an opener for CC versus smaller headliner shows. The festival and opener shows are obviously better than no shows but doesn’t feel like a true Live concert to me. I can not believe they aren’t player a smaller concert in NYC.

+Quote Post
Bob
post Jun 30 2018, 4:04 pm
Post #7

FansOfLive Senior

Bob is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ Jun 29 2018, 11:12 pm) *

I’ve enjoyed reading your review of the show. Thank you for your honesty.
This part makes me sad. Been a fan since seeing Operation Spirit on MTV when it was new. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I never got to see them back then and it sucks that ship has long sailed away. I’m super excited to have a finally, after 25 years, to have a ticket for the Austin Texas show. But then again, based on YouTube concerts of old, I’m worried I’ll be let down and end up feeling like you feel right now. But I have to do this. Seeing them is on my bucket list. I landed 7th row. Am hoping it will be sorta empty and I’ll be able to move even closer. Maybe somehow that will make it better?

It will make it better! Please don't let my thoughts dampen your experience. Enjoy the heck out of it.

My wife has seen Live with me a few times, and we've also seen Ed solo a few times, and she's just happy to see them (mainly Ed) and hear the songs she knows. She had a great time, and you will too. Try and separate the baggage that only hardcore fans know about from the great music and enjoy the show. I would love to hear about your experience.

+Quote Post
meltdown5
post Jun 30 2018, 5:55 pm
Post #8

FansOfLive Freshman

meltdown5 is off the scale  ()

Can someone catch me up on why there is another drummer on stage and apparently playing on the new song? I am a 20+year Live fan, but honestly have not been following them that closely lately.

+Quote Post
SecretInsomnia
post Jun 30 2018, 6:18 pm
Post #9

Lakini

Group Icon

SecretInsomnia is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(meltdown5 @ Jun 30 2018, 5:55 pm) *

Can someone catch me up on why there is another drummer on stage and apparently playing on the new song? I am a 20+year Live fan, but honestly have not been following them that closely lately.

Well the second drummer helped Chad G out after he hurt himself back in 2017 (still no idea what happened). I think Chad G said in the recent Facebook Q&A sessions that he was fully recovered. No idea why they still keep two drummers on stage (I don't know many bands that perform like that), but I think they think it sounds better with two drummers. Why he recorded with them: again, no idea.

This post has been edited by SecretInsomnia: Jun 30 2018, 6:20 pm

+Quote Post
Bob
post Jul 1 2018, 12:28 am
Post #10

FansOfLive Senior

Bob is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(SecretInsomnia @ Jun 30 2018, 4:18 pm) *

Well the second drummer helped Chad G out after he hurt himself back in 2017 (still no idea what happened). I think Chad G said in the recent Facebook Q&A sessions that he was fully recovered. No idea why they still keep two drummers on stage (I don't know many bands that perform like that), but I think they think it sounds better with two drummers. Why he recorded with them: again, no idea.

It took some digging in CG's Facebook Q&A, but he says he had a "severed triceps tendon".

They apparently like the extra stuff that Robin does, and he also has some form of writing or creative credit with the new song, just like Zak Loy does.

+Quote Post
meltdown5
post Jul 1 2018, 9:14 am
Post #11

FansOfLive Freshman

QUOTE(SecretInsomnia @ Jun 30 2018, 7:18 pm) *

Ok - I thought I heard something about CG getting hurt last year. If he is fully recovered it's weird they have two drummers on stage. I have not seen any bands that have 2 drummers on stage. I have tickets to one of the summer shows, just lawn ones from Groupon but I am really not too stoked on going, honestly.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Jul 1 2018, 7:00 pm
Post #12

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bob @ Jun 30 2018, 4:04 pm) *

Try and separate the baggage that only hardcore fans know about from the great music and enjoy the show. I would love to hear about your experience.

I will do just that. Thanks, Bob.
Good to know your wife enjoyed the show. -Ooh I can definitely understand her “Ed thing”, but on the other hand, I can see how someone else referred to him in another show review as “the creepy uncle” lol.gif

+Quote Post
lylebeach
post Jul 2 2018, 9:09 am
Post #13

FansOfLive Freshman

QUOTE(meltdown5 @ Jul 1 2018, 9:14 am) *

I have tickets to one of the summer shows, just lawn ones from Groupon but I am really not too stoked on going, honestly.

Good news is, at the show I went to, which was also the Groupon for the lawn seats...

As soon as we got in, since the turnout was so dismal, they were offering $10 upgrades so sit in the seats right up by the stage. In fact, they closed the lawn completely and moved all those people up to the 200 section for free! Kinda makes me feel bad that I only ended up paying $28 (with no fees) to sit down in the 100 section, when I know people paid well over $100 + fees to be down there

So ya... With that in mind... Why do they really want to have two extra musicians on stage with them? Now they have to divvy up the money 6 ways instead of 4? shrug.gif

I was able to get a picture with Chad T. It was kinda just random luck too. He wandered up to the mixing board right as Counting Crows were starting their show. So that was kinda cool.

We also left a few songs into the Counting Crows set. Seems like there was a pretty steady stream of people behind me too. I was a part of a group of 7 people that went to this show. My sister being one of them. She likes the counting crows music that she remembers from the 90's/00's. She even drove separately because her and her son were going to stay for all of Counting Crows set. But even she had had enough of them, and it was her idea for us to leave! nod.gif She even cussed which surprised me! She's not much of a curser. lol! She says, "Now I'm bitter.... Motherf*&^%er ruined Mr. Jones!" wow.gif LOL!! She was referring to Adam Duritz playing the song in such a way, that it wasn't very recognizable. Plus, he was doing his long ass stories between songs. She didn't have to ask me twice when she wanted to leave!

This post has been edited by lylebeach: Jul 2 2018, 9:46 am

+Quote Post
dangum
post Jul 2 2018, 11:10 am
Post #14

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Video time. Thanks to [Grillucho] - Nice video. Sound sucks.

Selling the Drama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZoFknqkYk

Love Lounge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xvzRJFhiI

Lightning Crashes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePwFpnurYw0

I Alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uak3ezqt9ko

All Over You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3y6ndfmE0

+Quote Post
meltdown5
post Jul 2 2018, 12:56 pm
Post #15

FansOfLive Freshman

QUOTE(lylebeach @ Jul 2 2018, 10:09 am) *

Good news is, at the show I went to, which was also the Groupon for the lawn seats...

As soon as we got in, since the turnout was so dismal, they were offering $10 upgrades so sit in the seats right up by the stage. In fact, they closed the lawn completely and moved all those people up to the 200 section for free! Kinda makes me feel bad that I only ended up paying $28 (with no fees) to sit down in the 100 section, when I know people paid well over $100 + fees to be down there

So ya... With that in mind... Why do they really want to have two extra musicians on stage with them? Now they have to divvy up the money 6 ways instead of 4? shrug.gif

I was able to get a picture with Chad T. It was kinda just random luck too. He wandered up to the mixing board right as Counting Crows were starting their show. So that was kinda cool.

We also left a few songs into the Counting Crows set. Seems like there was a pretty steady stream of people behind me too. I was a part of a group of 7 people that went to this show. My sister being one of them. She likes the counting crows music that she remembers from the 90's/00's. She even drove separately because her and her son were going to stay for all of Counting Crows set. But even she had had enough of them, and it was her idea for us to leave! nod.gif She even cussed which surprised me! She's not much of a curser. lol! She says, "Now I'm bitter.... Motherf*&^%er ruined Mr. Jones!" wow.gif LOL!! She was referring to Adam Duritz playing the song in such a way, that it wasn't very recognizable. Plus, he was doing his long ass stories between songs. She didn't have to ask me twice when she wanted to leave!

I'm totally leaving after Live's set. I've seen CC twice with Live (the last time in 2007 maybe? and the first time in 1999). Both times Adam Duritz acted like jerk to his band and did more talking than singing. We left early in 2007, so now I know better than to watch their set lol.

I'm not thrilled with the band being 6 members, albeit that 2 are touring members, but when they start getting writing credits, I don't know.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 users are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: September 21st, 2018 - 11:20 pm