dangum
post Nov 9 2017, 9:34 am
Post #31

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 9:14 pm) *

You're seriously not going to hold Ed to statements made 6 months ago no.gif .

I didn't realise that statements made greater than 6 months ago are no longer valid.

Here's a quote from August 8 (are quotes from 3 months ago still applicable?) where Ed is interviewed by an Australian writer and talking about the upcoming Australian tour.

“Oh man, we’re putting the show together now,” beamed Ed Kowalczyk, vocalist for Live, ahead of their November Australian tour. “Actually, we’ve been doing mostly festivals where we’re up there with a bunch of bands, so the Australian tour will be the first shows of our own that we’ll be able to play an extended set, so we’re pretty excited. We’re working on the show right now. We’re gonna, of course, play the songs people… I like to say we’ll play all the songs people will be super pissed off if we didn’t (laughs). We’re trying to get to every album in the catalogue and also throw a new song in there. We’re working on some new tunes and a couple of covers. We’ve got the production rocking, and every show we’ve been doing has been better than the one before, so I think by the time we get down there in November we’re gonna be firing on all cylinders.”

Source: [Article] Heavy Magazine (2017), interview with Ed Kowalczyk

Australian audiences should be excited to hear new material. music.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Liveman94
post Nov 9 2017, 9:57 am
Post #32

FansOfLive Senior

Liveman94 is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 10 2017, 12:34 am) *

I didn't realise that statements made greater than 6 months ago are no longer valid.

Here's a quote from August 8 (are quotes from 3 months ago still applicable?) where Ed is interviewed by an Australian writer and talking about the upcoming Australian tour.

Quoted for agreement --- we are going to the Riverstage in Briz and up until now have been confident of hearing at least one new song...maybe we shouldn't be in expectation??? But I agree with Dan. Ed says new songs will be played - that's what I'm expecting!!!

+Quote Post
gerrycan70
post Nov 9 2017, 9:58 am
Post #33

FansOfLive Freshman

gerrycan70 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(dangum @ Nov 10 2017, 1:34 am) *

Perhaps they felt they weren't ready to play any new material; that Gracey's injury set them back in being able to perfect the new material. Who knows what goes on in the decision making. I just think it's very unreasonable to expect to hear something new so soon, regardless of what a band member says. If I get the chance, I'll ask Ed next week about it.

+Quote Post
throwing_cheetahs
post Nov 9 2017, 10:53 am
Post #34

Gas Hed

Group Icon

throwing_cheetahs is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 9:58 am) *

Perhaps they felt they weren't ready to play any new material; that Gracey's injury set them back in being able to perfect the new material. Who knows what goes on in the decision making. I just think it's very unreasonable to expect to hear something new so soon, regardless of what a band member says. If I get the chance, I'll ask Ed next week about it.

Thing is, they already played a new song at that rehearsal (would like to have that footage) before the new years show i believe. So, why say your going to play a song you have already played....and then don't.

This post has been edited by throwing_cheetahs: Nov 9 2017, 10:56 am

+Quote Post
alexou
post Nov 9 2017, 1:59 pm
Post #35

Gas Hed

Group Icon

alexou is off the scale  ()

promises broken....it's not the first one from this band.

with 2 drummers, they could do a new song just fine. Live's catalog is easy to play.

For an audience that didn't see them for so long, the least you can do is hold your word. Just 1 new song.

Curious to hear The distance... i know they were using alot of playbacks in the Shinn era. Was there some for this song. They use the strings of LJ, so it's possible.

+Quote Post
LiveForNow
post Nov 9 2017, 2:16 pm
Post #36

FansOfLive Junior

LiveForNow is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(alexou @ Nov 9 2017, 11:59 am) *

promises broken....it's not the first one from this band.

with 2 drummers, they could do a new song just fine. Live's catalog is easy to play.

For an audience that didn't see them for so long, the least you can do is hold your word. Just 1 new song.

Curious to hear The distance... i know they were using alot of playbacks in the Shinn era. Was there some for this song. They use the strings of LJ, so it's possible.

They played The Distance with Shinn? Can someone please post a video of that?

+Quote Post
Srx17
post Nov 9 2017, 2:29 pm
Post #37

FansOfLive Freshman

Srx17 is on a distinguished road  ()

What do you mean they were using a lot of playbacks?

+Quote Post
alexou
post Nov 9 2017, 4:19 pm
Post #38

Gas Hed

Group Icon

they didn't play the distance with Shinn of course.

By playback, I mean backing tracks. With Shinn, they used some of the studio voice effects and music effects to add to the songs. Honnestly I wasn't fond of it. I saw Sirens Call live without backing tracks and I prefered that to when they started to use the backing tracks when the record came out. 6310 Rodgerton also had these tracks. LJ and TDAOC too.

They use backing tracks (the strings) in Lakini's Juice. You will notice in the NYE show, Ed wanted to wait a bit in the middle of Lakini's Juice, but he forgot he couldn't because there is a backing track, so they can't extend it like they want it to. Funny moment.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Nov 9 2017, 6:30 pm
Post #39

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(gerrycan70 @ Nov 9 2017, 7:14 am) *

You're seriously not going to hold Ed to statements made 6 months ago no.gif . They've been off the radar for 8 years as a foursome. No band is then all of a sudden going play / road test new material immediately after such a long absence.

Oh please. They've been professionals for 25 years. Stop making excuses for no new songs. Live dropped the ball on this a loooong time ago. I expected something last year when they announced their reunion. From October through December 2016 they could have easily cranked one song out. Especially with how Ed described he and Chad just clicked within their first few meetings and had new ideas right away. C'mon, I've seen garage bands perfect a new song in a couple of weeks. For an entire year to have gone by, with average 3 weeks down time between shows for them to work, and STILL no new material is a mistake that I've learned to accept. So, I wasn't expecting a new song in Africa. Don't expect a new song at the Australia shows either.

+Quote Post
gerrycan70
post Nov 9 2017, 8:33 pm
Post #40

FansOfLive Freshman

gerrycan70 is off the scale  ()

South Africa Press Conference:

https://www.facebook.com/Jacaranda942/video...56090680767454/

+Quote Post
Merica
post Nov 10 2017, 7:23 am
Post #41

Proverbial G.

Group Icon

Merica is off the scale  ()

Nice to see they finally played some interesting stuff. Hope it continues.

Also, yeah, there's no need to make excuses for them or baby them in any way about the lack of new stuff. They're just actively deciding not to play any new material for whatever reason. All the stuff about them still needing time to fully reconnect or the length of time they've been away being a factor etc - all that's rubbish IMO.

If they wanted to have a new song out there they could and would. They're professional musicians who can learn and bang something out as quickly as they want to. That's part of the reason why it's so frustrating when they play the same heritage act set list (plus Audioslave cover) time and again.

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Nov 10 2017, 9:31 am
Post #42

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Merica @ Nov 10 2017, 7:23 am) *

Nice to see they finally played some interesting stuff. Hope it continues.

Also, yeah, there's no need to make excuses for them or baby them in any way about the lack of new stuff. They're just actively deciding not to play any new material for whatever reason. All the stuff about them still needing time to fully reconnect or the length of time they've been away being a factor etc - all that's rubbish IMO.

If they wanted to have a new song out there they could and would. They're professional musicians who can learn and bang something out as quickly as they want to. That's part of the reason why it's so frustrating when they play the same heritage act set list (plus Audioslave cover) time and again.

Totally agree. I understand their reluctance to release their first new song but they should have one complete by now.

+Quote Post
alexou
post Nov 10 2017, 9:57 am
Post #43

Gas Hed

Group Icon

QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Nov 10 2017, 9:31 am) *

Totally agree. I understand their reluctance to release their first new song but they should have one complete by now.

No doubt they have completed songs, more than 1 ready also, just a matter of control I guess. It is so 1994 ish way. I mean, when they released The turn, they released 4-5 songs before it actually came out with small videos. That was cool. I know we talk about a concert version of new song in that case, but they find ways for people to lose interest with them. Come on guys, be proud of your reunion and new work and SHOW it!

+Quote Post
MightyHet
post Nov 10 2017, 1:55 pm
Post #44

FansOfLive Freshman

MightyHet is off the scale  ()

Finally found some videos of songs they played that aren't part of the usual set list. Thanks to Sven for uploading these. The band sounds great. Please bring this tour and set to the US and do a full Live show and not this festival stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgzst9sB0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOXjKZpENw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bQEYjj-wI

+Quote Post
SecretInsomnia
post Nov 10 2017, 4:57 pm
Post #45

Lakini

Group Icon

SecretInsomnia is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(MightyHet @ Nov 10 2017, 1:55 pm) *

Finally found some videos of songs they played that aren't part of the usual set list. Thanks to Sven for uploading these. The band sounds great. Please bring this tour and set to the US and do a full Live show and not this festival stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNgzst9sB0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOXjKZpENw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bQEYjj-wI

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed them very much.
Man, first minute of Rattlesnake gave me - well at least a little - goosebumps. Ed with his low SS voice.
Chad appearing during TMH, with Ed singing over his solo. A thing we thought we might never see again a few years ago.
Ed holding the guitar in more songs btw, especially a electric guitar (Rattlesnake, RTTW) is something I haven’t seen for a long time, apart from Shit Towne

This post has been edited by SecretInsomnia: Nov 10 2017, 4:58 pm

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: July 20th, 2018 - 5:30 pm