Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Have a Touring Guitarist?, Christopher Thorn, then Adam Kowalczyk and now Zak Loy.
LiveForNow
post Jan 8 2017, 5:58 pm
Post #1

FansOfLive Junior

LiveForNow is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

Why did Live add a touring guitarist to the lineup? Looking at live videos from the early days, it seems like they sounded great before adding Christopher Thorn, then Adam Kowalczyk and now Zak Loy. They also sounded great to me as a foursome with Chris Shinn. So why the fifth member?

Also on a related note, does anyone else wonder about the dynamic with Zak and the rest of the band? On paper it seems like it'd be pretty awkward - Zak essentially played Chad T's role for Ed, under Ed's direction, during an ugly period between ECCP. You'd think with no mention of Shinn, Live would also want to distance themselves from Ed's solo days as well. I can see that if Adam was no longer interested in the role it would make sense to add someone already familiar with the material, but the whole thing makes me wonder.

I've never met Zak but the Ed camp really seems to love him. I'm sure he's a talented enough musician to play the role. He also comes across as a really nice guy on social media and answers fans' questions. But I wonder how he ended up being added and whether everyone was on board with him from the start.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mfitz804
post Jan 8 2017, 6:00 pm
Post #2

Ghost

Group Icon

mfitz804 is off the scale  ()

Wouldn't be any more awkward than having Ed back...

+Quote Post
Holy Slime
post Jan 8 2017, 6:38 pm
Post #3

FansOfLive Sophomore

Holy Slime is off the scale  ()

A lot of Live's material is intended for two guitarists. You look back in the MJ-SS era when they were a four piece, and Ed had to play guitar for the majority of the set at shows because the songs needed two guitars. After TDTH, Ed only had to pick up a guitar occasionally when he felt like it because they had Adam playing guitar. Now that he's back in the band, he has Loy there so that he can focus on singing. You'll notice at the NYE show he only played guitar on the three songs from MJ that are intended to have and acoustic guitar along side the electric.

As for why Loy in particular, Ed's been playing with him for several years while he hasn't played with CCP for 7 years. Loy is probably a security blanket to make Ed feel more comfortable in the group.

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Jan 8 2017, 7:46 pm
Post #4

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

Ed used to play guitar and then decided he wanted to just be the mc

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
alexou
post Jan 8 2017, 7:48 pm
Post #5

Gas Hed

Group Icon

alexou is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Holy Slime @ Jan 8 2017, 6:38 pm) *

A lot of Live's material is intended for two guitarists. You look back in the MJ-SS era when they were a four piece, and Ed had to play guitar for the majority of the set at shows because the songs needed two guitars. After TDTH, Ed only had to pick up a guitar occasionally when he felt like it because they had Adam playing guitar. Now that he's back in the band, he has Loy there so that he can focus on singing. You'll notice at the NYE show he only played guitar on the three songs from MJ that are intended to have and acoustic guitar along side the electric.

As for why Loy in particular, Ed's been playing with him for several years while he hasn't played with CCP for 7 years. Loy is probably a security blanket to make Ed feel more comfortable in the group.

Are you sure he wasn't playing in Lakini's Juice? Looked like we were hearing 2 guitars there too.

+Quote Post
Holy Slime
post Jan 8 2017, 8:14 pm
Post #6

FansOfLive Sophomore

QUOTE(alexou @ Jan 8 2017, 7:48 pm) *

Are you sure he wasn't playing in Lakini's Juice? Looked like we were hearing 2 guitars there too.

I'm sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant to say Ed only played guitar on the first three songs. Loy definitely played the whole show.

It is interesting to note, however, that Ed has in fact been playing guitar throughout the majority of his solo shows for the last couple years. Even his full solo band has been performing as a four piece with Ed as the second guitarist... So if they wanted to play as a four piece they definitely could, but again I think Loy is more there to make Ed comfortable than anything else.

This post has been edited by Holy Slime: Jan 8 2017, 8:33 pm

+Quote Post
LiveForNow
post Jan 8 2017, 8:53 pm
Post #7

FansOfLive Junior

QUOTE(Holy Slime @ Jan 8 2017, 5:14 pm) *

I'm sorry, I phrased that poorly. I meant to say Ed only played guitar on the first three songs. Loy definitely played the whole show.

It is interesting to note, however, that Ed has in fact been playing guitar throughout the majority of his solo shows for the last couple years. Even his full solo band has been performing as a four piece with Ed as the second guitarist... So if they wanted to play as a four piece they definitely could, but again I think Loy is more there to make Ed comfortable than anything else.

On a song like LJ is there an added value of having a second guitarist? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they played LJ on SNL as a four piece (unless someone was hiding in the back) and Ed didn't play guitar, and I consider that to be the best live version of LJ recorded.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Jan 8 2017, 10:11 pm
Post #8

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(LiveForNow @ Jan 8 2017, 7:53 pm) *

On a song like LJ is there an added value of having a second guitarist? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they played LJ on SNL as a four piece (unless someone was hiding in the back) and Ed didn't play guitar, and I consider that to be the best live version of LJ recorded.

I dunno if someone was in the back for that, but...Yes!! I still watch the vid of SNL's LJ probably once a week. Not only is it the best performance of LJ, it's the best live performance Live has ever done, period! I love Ed's smug expression at the very end. He's like, "Hell yeah, we just blew the roof off this bitch." cool.gif

I still remember watching it -the- night of in my college dorm on my lil' TV with my roomie. Her face-- wow.gif It was so exciting to be like, "That's my fave band right there." tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Voodoo Lady: Jan 8 2017, 10:12 pm

+Quote Post
Holy Slime
post Jan 8 2017, 10:22 pm
Post #9

FansOfLive Sophomore

QUOTE(LiveForNow @ Jan 8 2017, 8:53 pm) *

No, not really. Even Ed's solo shows had just one guitar on LJ, same with CCCP.

And yeah, they were just doing one guitar for that on the SS tour.

This post has been edited by Holy Slime: Jan 8 2017, 10:24 pm

+Quote Post
LiveForNow
post Jan 8 2017, 10:30 pm
Post #10

FansOfLive Junior

Is it possible that the fifth guitarist is to financially support people close to Ed? I can't speak for Thorn, but I can see Ed wanting his brother to have a job and for his friend Zak who he toured with for three years not to starve after Ed rejoined his old band. Food for thought, as Ed was certainly comfortable playing guitar in his solo full band shows.

+Quote Post
dangum
post Jan 8 2017, 11:23 pm
Post #11

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

QUOTE(LiveForNow @ Jan 9 2017, 11:30 am) *
Is it possible that the fifth guitarist is to financially support people close to Ed?
I don't think so. Zak Loy already records and performs in other bands (Alpha Rev) and Zak is also a producer and writer (for South African artist Tailor). I don't think Live would add an extra person to the team if they weren't bringing something to the table.

Zak Loy has been in the recording studio with Live so perhaps he has been lending his production experience as well?

As far as I'm aware, the reason for the extra guitarist was so that Ed could move away from being behind the guitar 100% of the time and express himself in different ways. Chris Thorn initally was that guitarist but when he didn't want to continue he was replaced with Adam. Adam also helped out with backing vocals and did an excellent job at that.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PaulZAR
post Jan 9 2017, 6:50 am
Post #12

FansOfLive Newbie

PaulZAR is on a distinguished road  ()

I remember listening to a lot of bootlegs with Adam in the band. I always loved the way he and Ed sounded together.

+Quote Post
alexou
post Jan 9 2017, 11:28 am
Post #13

Gas Hed

Group Icon

alexou is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(PaulZAR @ Jan 9 2017, 6:50 am) *

I remember listening to a lot of bootlegs with Adam in the band. I always loved the way he and Ed sounded together.

vocals harmony was a strong part of Live when Adam was there. It was less rock, but Adam was adding this vocal edge that helped Ed.

+Quote Post
mfitz804
post Jan 9 2017, 12:00 pm
Post #14

Ghost

Group Icon

mfitz804 is off the scale  ()

To answer the original question, they have a touring guitarist for the same reason they double guitar tracks in the studio...more guitars sounds more better. Depending on the type of song, of course.

+Quote Post
san_sao
post Jan 9 2017, 1:56 pm
Post #15

FansOfLive Junior

san_sao is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(mfitz804 @ Jan 9 2017, 12:00 pm) *

To answer the original question, they have a touring guitarist for the same reason they double guitar tracks in the studio...more guitars sounds more better. Depending on the type of song, of course.

Exactly. Was it Billy Corgan that used to use like 100s of guitars on some tracks to get a certain sound? In any case, it gives all the band members more freedom.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: July 18th, 2018 - 3:57 am