Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best TV show of the last decade
vivapokey
post Nov 3 2016, 6:05 am
Post #46

FansOfLive Senior

vivapokey is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

The Wire is a slow burn, but still one of the best TV shows ever made. Characters just so deep and well written. Being partly written and acted in by former cops, gangsters and criminal journalists give it that real edge. If you don't have a long attention span I can see how people would pass it by. The only thing which lets it down for me is the last season which just felt a bit too different from the rest. A bit too over the top and almost felt like a different show at times. But the first 4 are perfection.

The Shield is a great counter to The Wire. Far more action packed and over the top but as an overall arc I probably prefer it to the wire in terms of just out right fun. From the first episode you know shit is real, but it gets better and better as it goes along. I don't think I've ever sat back at the end of a TV show and felt as satisfied as I did with The Shield. Perfectly wrapped up. Then there are the guest roles in different series. Glenn Close and Forest Whitaker in particular. Whitaker is just unbelievable.

But probably a good time to spruik Black Mirror as one of the best shows as it's just released its 3rd season. It's written by TV critic Charlie Brooker who for years ragged on how bad lots of TV was and then went "fuck it, I can do it better myself", and, he did. Each episode is self contained and unconnected to the others. They all deal with our use of technology, whether it be in the near future or distant future. It encapsulates perfectly the scary side of technology and how it could be used. From VR to social media to advertising, to how technology could affect how we deal with death. Some episodes are horror, some thriller, some very dark comedy. It really makes you sit back and question things. Episodes are based on ideas like "what would happen if we lived in a culture where we could rate everything?" With the way we are headed now - online ratings of restaurants etc. Uber lives and dies by its ratings. But what if people themselves, their personalities could be rated? You have an interaction with someone which you like or dislike, you point your phone at them and rate them. Everyone can see your rating. It taps into that fakeness of social media which forces everyone to have this superficial facade where everyone is happy and perfect and living a perfect life. But that's just one episode.

So, thats my vote at the moment, Black Mirror.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Unsheathed
post Nov 8 2016, 1:43 pm
Post #47

FansOfLive Sophomore

Unsheathed is off the scale  ()

For me, Westworld is the best thing on TV. I like it better than Game of Thrones.

+Quote Post
Lakini's Juice
post Nov 10 2016, 10:37 am
Post #48

FansOfLive Junior

Lakini's Juice is off the scale  ()

Breaking Bad.

Also:
House of Cards (technically not a tv-show)
Horace & Pete (technically not a tv-show)

+Quote Post
AManHasNoName
post Nov 16 2017, 4:02 am
Post #49

FansOfLive Freshman

AManHasNoName is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Unsheathed @ Nov 8 2016, 12:43 pm) *

For me, Westworld is the best thing on TV. I like it better than Game of Thrones.

Westworld better than GOT? I mean, you like what you like... but I couldn't get into that show to save my life. Whatever floats your horse in the fake bubble world...

I'm sure the original bracket would be different now given all the shows that have come out since the OP posted this thread. Netflix has really blazed a trail just with their content alone. Stranger Things is probably the best show out there right now behind GOT, but there are also new shows like Ozark that have real promise.

Breaking Bad still has to retain position though. From start to finish it tells a complete, interweaving, overarching story that never falters. Every episode was fresh, new, and taking you on a ride somewhere. You didn't quite know where you were going or how long it was going to take to get there, but the ride itself was worth the trip. And where it wound up taking you was worth every bit of the trip. I don't think any tv show is perfect, but Breaking Bad came closer to perfection than any other tv show I've ever seen. Game Of Thrones is greater in scope, and the story is much more involved, but it has the luxury of being based on multiple 600-page novels. Breaking Bad was a from-scratch tv show that was developed as well as any story I've ever read.

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Nov 18 2017, 2:15 am
Post #50

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

i like Breaking Bad but it's like the watered down fantasy version of The Wire for white people

+Quote Post
Merica
post Nov 18 2017, 4:50 am
Post #51

Proverbial G.

Group Icon

Merica is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bremang @ Nov 18 2017, 7:15 am) *

i like Breaking Bad but it's like the watered down fantasy version of The Wire for white people

I loved Breaking Bad. Have yet to see The Wire, but it's definitely on the (ridiculously long) list of shows I'll get around to at some point.

I'd like to nominate Mad Men, which I recently watched and really, really loved.

Also Sons of Anarchy got under my skin and affected me more than any other show of all time ever.

+Quote Post
LiveRoCkS77
post Aug 6 2018, 1:49 pm
Post #52

Cheetah

Group Icon

LiveRoCkS77 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(AManHasNoName @ Nov 16 2017, 5:02 am) *

Westworld better than GOT? I mean, you like what you like... but I couldn't get into that show to save my life. Whatever floats your horse in the fake bubble world...

I'm sure the original bracket would be different now given all the shows that have come out since the OP posted this thread. Netflix has really blazed a trail just with their content alone. Stranger Things is probably the best show out there right now behind GOT, but there are also new shows like Ozark that have real promise.

Breaking Bad still has to retain position though. From start to finish it tells a complete, interweaving, overarching story that never falters. Every episode was fresh, new, and taking you on a ride somewhere. You didn't quite know where you were going or how long it was going to take to get there, but the ride itself was worth the trip. And where it wound up taking you was worth every bit of the trip. I don't think any tv show is perfect, but Breaking Bad came closer to perfection than any other tv show I've ever seen. Game Of Thrones is greater in scope, and the story is much more involved, but it has the luxury of being based on multiple 600-page novels. Breaking Bad was a from-scratch tv show that was developed as well as any story I've ever read.

I agree, GOT can't be compared to Westworld. I watched 1 season of Westworld and just shook my head.

For me?

Shameless gives me a good laugh.

The Wire is aflat out beast.

GOT is good but boring at times.

RAY DONOVAN is one of my favorites. Jon Voigt, Schreiber, Marasan….the characters and storylines in this show keep me more than captivated.

The first four seasons of Dexter were straight out mint.

Lately I watched a good series called Animal Kingdom with Scott Speedman and Ellen Barkin, only 2 seasons, but they are really good.

Breaking bad was a good story with a great ending but Aaron Pauls acting was so weak as a supporting actor that I laughed out loud several times. Literally cringeworthy,

As bad as it has gotten, still can't stop watching The Walking Dead

+Quote Post
Unsheathed
post Aug 6 2018, 2:42 pm
Post #53

FansOfLive Sophomore

Unsheathed is off the scale  ()

It's now 2018, and I still choose Westworld. I love me some GOT, of course (been reading the books since two decades ago, and the show is fantastic).

However, the exploration and potential quantification of consciousness and how it will define our society is super interesting to me. To me, nothing beats the poignant subject matter of Westworld and how entertainingly it is executed.

I like G.R.R.M and Michael Crichton quite a lot.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: August 21st, 2018 - 11:14 pm