Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mental Jewerly re-release in July 2017, [Update: Release date is August 11, 2017]
draynoe
post Aug 12 2017, 2:22 pm
Post #106

FansOfLive Freshman

draynoe is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

QUOTE(Voodoo Lady @ Aug 7 2017, 10:19 pm) *

Nice! Does the shirt just have the green logo? Anything on the back?

Sorry missed this - yep here's the shirt too: https://missinginkshop.com/live/sites/com.l...%20CD_SHIRT.jpg

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bremang
post Aug 12 2017, 3:19 pm
Post #107

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Holy Slime @ Aug 12 2017, 3:16 pm) *
The Remix is solid, not mind blowing but it gives extra definition to the acoustics and the bass, the b-sides/outtakes are a welcome addition, and as other have said the Roxy show basically pays for thw two-disc set on its own.

My only complaint is the club remix of Pain Lies on the Riverside. It adds nothing to the listening experience as far as I am concerned and they would have been better just to leave it off.

You mean the remastering. Yeah, I was trying to hear the difference. It's interesting to hear a little bit of clarity here and there.

That pain lies early 90's "club" mix seems strange, right? That track has been around and I don't think I ever bothered to hear it all the way through. I'd like to see someone try to format pain lies for 2017 clubs.

This post has been edited by Bremang: Aug 12 2017, 3:20 pm

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Aug 12 2017, 3:43 pm
Post #108

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

Overall very happy with the release. The Roxy concert is awesome, love Susquehanna. The packing and t-shirt are top notch as well.

This post has been edited by mattyeagles: Aug 12 2017, 3:43 pm

+Quote Post
Holy Slime
post Aug 12 2017, 3:57 pm
Post #109

FansOfLive Sophomore

Holy Slime is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bremang @ Aug 12 2017, 3:19 pm) *

You mean the remastering. Yeah, I was trying to hear the difference. It's interesting to hear a little bit of clarity here and there.

That pain lies early 90's "club" mix seems strange, right? That track has been around and I don't think I ever bothered to hear it all the way through. I'd like to see someone try to format pain lies for 2017 clubs.

Sorry, yeah meant remaster.

+Quote Post
Gertjan
post Aug 12 2017, 4:35 pm
Post #110

FansOfLive Senior

Gertjan is off the scale  ()

International cd delivery seems to be delayed by a week, argh. I couldn't wait any longer so I've been listening to the Roxy show via Spotify,

Just wow. I'm impressed by the raw power and passion in the recording. This is an ambitious band working their buds off and enjoying every bit of it. Not being preoccupied with rules, business, and all that.

I've heard other old recordings but this seems to beat them all. The audio quality contributes to that of course. Maybe not perfect by today's standards, for a 25 year old recording it is damn good.

So happy this came out of the archives! kicking.gif

+Quote Post
dangum
post Aug 13 2017, 12:48 am
Post #111

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

A post from Chad Taylor

https://missinginkshop.com/live/store

I recently had the honor of mixing "LĪVE at the Roxy," the companion CD to the Mental Jewelry, 25th Anniversary release.

The 2" multitrack tapes of this Los Angeles show were in the bands extensive tape storage locker at Think Loud Studios. I found and reviewed nearly 100 cassette tapes from our earliest shows at CBGB's, finally unearthing this rare multitrack recording. In those days (1991) the only way to record at that quality was to bring a remote recording truck. Something a young band without much success, could hardly afford. Thankfully, our record label (Gary Kurfirst and Phil Schuster) helped us document the band.

After transferring the analog audio into Pro Tools, I got my first listen of our youthful teenage spirit. I was amazed at the sheer energy the band was creating through a multitude of layered polyrhythms (something we must have learned from the Talking Head's Jerry Harrison).

I left, unaltered, all the flaws and mistakes that a young band might make in the final mix. This show was too raw, and perfectly imperfect to try and doctor.

The band was already playing very loud on stage, and I had to deal with heavy audio leakage from all of the on-stage microphones. Thankfully, the rooms mics picked up the full bandwidth energy of the band and the PA system (mixed by tour manager, Peter Banta rip).

Most live recordings duck these microphones, until the audience clapping or cheering comes to the forefront; for this recording, I'd have to do the opposite. I had no choice but to keep the raw, unfiltered dynamics and excitement loud in the mix.

My favorite moment is the live performance of "Negation," a track from Four Songs. Thanks to Phil Schuster's encouragement, we included rare tracks that evening, performing nearly every song the band had in its small repertoire.

Negation is unrehearsed and the entire song is based around improvised patterns. When Ed begins singing, "I can't live on your words - anymore," you can literally feel the band begin to soar behind the passion of his vocal. It's LIVE at its very best, at least in that era. We launch into an earth shaking jam that can only happen when a band is free from the constraints of expectation or success.

I dare you to crank that track up and not feel moved to jump up and down, or dance! We certainly can't go back to being that version of ourselves but thank heavens it was well documented. Hope you enjoy listening (and dancing) to it, as much as I did mixing it!

https://www.facebook.com/officialchadtaylor...432681560100936

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bremang
post Aug 13 2017, 4:01 pm
Post #112

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

That's great from Chad. Happy this release saw the light of day and that we may see releases like this in the future. Can you imagine this for TC SS and especially TDTH?

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Aug 13 2017, 7:54 pm
Post #113

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bremang @ Aug 13 2017, 5:01 pm) *

That's great from Chad. Happy this release saw the light of day and that we may see releases like this in the future. Can you imagine this for TC SS and especially TDTH?

Agreed. Absolutely blown away by this recording.

+Quote Post
Hoodstock
post Aug 14 2017, 7:12 am
Post #114

The Voice of Reason

Group Icon

Hoodstock is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bremang @ Aug 13 2017, 5:01 pm) *

I'd be more interested in SS and TC.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: August 16th, 2017 - 8:38 pm