Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mental Jewerly re-release in July 2017, [Update: Release date is August 11, 2017]
andymbj
post Aug 20 2017, 2:25 am
Post #121

FansOfLive Sophomore

andymbj is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

I don't know what people were expecting. Wasn't it advertised that only the original tracks would be on the new cassette and vinyl releases? Only with the updated artwork. I ordered the purple vinyl through the band's shop and bought the cd and black vinyl from amazon.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob
post Aug 20 2017, 2:34 pm
Post #122

FansOfLive Senior

Bob is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(andymbj @ Aug 20 2017, 12:25 am) *

I don't know what people were expecting. Wasn't it advertised that only the original tracks would be on the new cassette and vinyl releases? Only with the updated artwork. I ordered the purple vinyl through the band's shop and bought the cd and black vinyl from amazon.

Amazon's image of the LP clearly shows the 25th anniversary logo in the top left hand corner, and the description says "Multi-platinum selling Pennsylvania band Live release their debut album 'Mental Jewelry' on LP for the first time to commemorate its 25th anniversary. The package includes the remastered studio album which launched the band's career, produced by Jerry Harrison from Talking Heads, plus liner notes from founding member Ed Kowalczyk. The original line-up begin a US / International festival tour in May."

That's not what I received, even though the pressing is from 2017, and has the liner notes. It seems like two versions of the LP were made. Can anyone that has both versions confirm that the Amazon version is of lesser quality than the version that Live is selling?

It would have been great if it was made clear that the "official" 25th anniversary version was a Freaks4Live exclusive to avoid confusion.

I'm not returning what I purchased from Amazon because now I own all of their available releases on vinyl. I'll get the 25th Anniversary version from Live at a later date. I'm in no rush now.

Side note: I also ordered the TDTH vinyl from Amazon, and it is the limited edition orange version, which was exactly what I wanted, so I'm batting .500.

+Quote Post
ThrowgnCpr
post Aug 20 2017, 3:32 pm
Post #123

Gas Hed

Group Icon

ThrowgnCpr is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Bob @ Aug 20 2017, 3:34 pm) *

Amazon's image of the LP clearly shows the 25th anniversary logo in the top left hand corner, and the description says "Multi-platinum selling Pennsylvania band Live release their debut album 'Mental Jewelry' on LP for the first time to commemorate its 25th anniversary. The package includes the remastered studio album which launched the band's career, produced by Jerry Harrison from Talking Heads, plus liner notes from founding member Ed Kowalczyk. The original line-up begin a US / International festival tour in May."

That's not what I received, even though the pressing is from 2017, and has the liner notes. It seems like two versions of the LP were made. Can anyone that has both versions confirm that the Amazon version is of lesser quality than the version that Live is selling?

It would have been great if it was made clear that the "official" 25th anniversary version was a Freaks4Live exclusive to avoid confusion.

I'm not returning what I purchased from Amazon because now I own all of their available releases on vinyl. I'll get the 25th Anniversary version from Live at a later date. I'm in no rush now.

Side note: I also ordered the TDTH vinyl from Amazon, and it is the limited edition orange version, which was exactly what I wanted, so I'm batting .500.

No, you did indeed receive the 25th anniversary version. It was clearly stated that the vinyl versions of the reissue only included the studio album (no bonus tracks). There is no difference from what you got to the purple copy that is on the band's website other than the color of the vinyl (and it was stated earlier that purple was exclusive to the band's webstore).

Mental Jewelry on vinyl has been out of print since the early 90s. In fact, it was never actually pressed on vinyl in the USA. All vinyl versions are remastered, which is something they would have had to do anyway since no plates would have existed to press the record on vinyl.

+Quote Post
Pingfah
post Aug 22 2017, 5:50 am
Post #124

FansOfLive Freshman

Pingfah is off the scale  ()

There's six reviews on Amazon for the black vinyl version they are selling, all say it is exceptionally poor sound quality and not 180g.

+Quote Post
mattyeagles
post Aug 22 2017, 7:38 am
Post #125

FansOfLive Senior

mattyeagles is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Pingfah @ Aug 22 2017, 6:50 am) *

There's six reviews on Amazon for the black vinyl version they are selling, all say it is exceptionally poor sound quality and not 180g.

why dont people just buy from the band's website? seems like an easy solution.

+Quote Post
ThrowgnCpr
post Aug 22 2017, 8:13 am
Post #126

Gas Hed

Group Icon

QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Aug 22 2017, 8:38 am) *

There very likely is no difference in audio quality between the black and purple copies. The same mastering and plates would have been used

+Quote Post
Pingfah
post Aug 22 2017, 10:21 am
Post #127

FansOfLive Freshman

QUOTE(mattyeagles @ Aug 22 2017, 1:38 pm) *

That's fine if you are in the US, if you are in the UK you have to pay international shipping, +VAT, plus import handling, and wait 2 weeks to a month for it to arrive. It can double the cost of something cheap like a record.

I'll just have to skip it, I don't want to pay double to import an LP, nor am I going to buy something with six 1 star reviews, all saying it is terrible quality. Maybe the purple will show up on Amazon eventually, seems unlikely it would be different, but I can't ignore 6 reviews saying the black vinyl is horrible, I buy records to listen to, not put on a wall.

This post has been edited by Pingfah: Aug 22 2017, 10:29 am

+Quote Post
swami
post Aug 22 2017, 2:57 pm
Post #128

FansOfLive Senior

swami is off the scale  ()

I ordered the CD, cassette, and LP from the band's site. I wasn't going to unseal the vinyl, but then Bob over here says that his vinyl is black. So, I'm like "Bullshit to you, Bob. I *probably* have a purple one but you'll NEVER know! .......Okay fine, I'll open it." Sure enough, it's purple. And now I'm going to visit him at his house in 2018 and secretly steal his black copy.

Also, yes. I started collecting Live when I was 11 and now most of my hair is gray. I blame Ed.

This post has been edited by swami: Aug 22 2017, 3:05 pm

+Quote Post
Pingfah
post Aug 23 2017, 3:55 am
Post #129

FansOfLive Freshman

Has anybody actually listened to either copy, purple or black?

+Quote Post
ThrowgnCpr
post Aug 23 2017, 5:48 am
Post #130

Gas Hed

Group Icon

QUOTE(Pingfah @ Aug 23 2017, 4:55 am) *

Has anybody actually listened to either copy, purple or black?

My purple is arriving tomorrow. Going to check my local shop for black. I will be listening as soon as I get them.

+Quote Post
Pingfah
post Aug 23 2017, 7:55 am
Post #131

FansOfLive Freshman

QUOTE(ThrowgnCpr @ Aug 23 2017, 11:48 am) *

My purple is arriving tomorrow. Going to check my local shop for black. I will be listening as soon as I get them.

Oh that would be good, a review from a trustworthy source would be appreciated.

+Quote Post
ThrowgnCpr
post Aug 25 2017, 9:23 am
Post #132

Gas Hed

Group Icon

I will write a full review tomorrow when I've had a chance to listen to everything and A/B with the original CD and Brazilian vinyl, but I wanted to leave a quick comment to calm fears over the Amazon reviews.

I spun the purple vinyl this morning and it sounds great. I don't think this is remastered, and I am happy for that. People probably forgot what Mental Jewelry sounds like and are bitching because it isn't a squashed modern mix. I love the mix on Mental Jewelry, and I'm glad it wasn't messed with. No tinniness at all. Gracey used more splashes and smaller crashes at the time, so the cymbals naturally sound thinner, but there are no audio issues.

My local shop had the black vinyl in, so I was able to snag that too. I'll have a listen tomorrow, along with the 1991 Brazilian vinyl.

I listened to some of the Roxy show CD on my commute to work this morning. Sounds great! More than enough low-end, but overall a good mix. I'm glad they didn't bury Pat.

More soon...

+Quote Post
ThrowgnCpr
post Aug 26 2017, 10:59 am
Post #133

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Had a chance to spin my 3 copies of Mental Jewelry back to back for comparison:

1991: black vinyl. Brazil.
2017: purple vinyl. USA (band exclusive)
2017: black vinyl. USA

The black and purple reissues sound identical (unsurprisingly). Sometimes color variants are more prone to defects, but this is a solid color, so no issues at all. The 2017 version does not sound remastered. It is a quiet pressing, but both copies are clean and well done. There are no "tinny" audio issues as reported on Amazon. Not sure where they are getting that. I would rather have a clean, quiet, original mix/master, than something that was remastered loud and pressed hot. At nearly 52 minutes, Mental Jewelry pushes the limits for a single LP - anything more than 20 minutes per side may result in some audio issues. Happily there is no inner groove distortion present at all. The record sounds good from needle drop to runout grooves.

The reissue sounds good, but not quite as good as my original copy. The Brazilian copy is a tad louder with slightly more low end and better dynamics, but it's really a very minor difference. I forgot how darn good that record sounds. Only audiophiles obsessed with this album might want to seek out an original (I imagine most already have...). For 99.9% of people, the reissues will be a treat.

If you have a decent turntable setup, and have been wanting a copy of Mental Jewelry, you should have no worries at all with purchasing this reissue.

+Quote Post
Pingfah
post Sep 25 2017, 5:56 am
Post #134

FansOfLive Freshman

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to write that.

This post has been edited by Pingfah: Sep 25 2017, 5:57 am

+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: November 23rd, 2017 - 9:59 am