Post #1

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Rock Music Menu: Live tour announcement a letdown
By Michael Christopher, rockmusicmenu@gmail.com

Posted: 04/05/18, 11:02 AM EDT | Updated: 2 days ago
Since late 2016 when Live revealed they would be reuniting with frontman Ed Kowalczyk for the first time in seven years, fans have been eagerly awaiting a proper U.S tour. Earlier this week, an announcement finally came, but much to the disappointment of longtime followers of the York, Pa. natives, it’s going to be as openers for Counting Crows.

“Live is beyond excited to get out on the road this summer and play for our fans,” Kowalczyk said in a pre-packaged statement. “We are freshly reunited and performing with a confidence and ferocity that we can’t wait for people to experience. The fact that we will be sharing the stage once again with the incomparable Counting Crows is icing on the cake!”

That cake is leaving a bitter taste in in the mouths of fans who took to the band’s Facebook page to criticize the positioning on the bill, dubbed “25 Years and Counting” by the headliners which will have two area appearances, Hersheypark Stadium August 10 and at the BB&T Pavilion the following night.

“There’s nothing exciting about opening for Counting Crows...especially when the opening band is 1000x better,” wrote one fan. “Live is getting screwed. Shame.”

“Live is opening? No way is that a thing that should be happening,” posted another. “Live is the headliner here. Yes, I have seen [Counting Crows] live... thanks but no thanks.”

“Why is Live the opening act? Should be the other way around,” read one response which seemed to echo the majority.

The outcry is more than just sour grapes from devotees of one group who don’t want to see their beloved hitmakers as a support act for what they believe to be an inferior band. There is a legitimate beef here and not just preferential blinders being worn. What seems like an easy argument to make is Counting Crows are the bigger band, and obviously the bigger band headlines the gigs. But is that really the case? And how would one quantify it anyway — albums sales? Radio hits? Popularity?

Let’s break it all down.

Live released their first album in 1991 and have put out eight overall. According to the RIAA, they have gone 12 times platinum, with more than eight million records of their smash sophomore effort ‘Throwing Copper’ sold. All eight landed in the Top 200 on the Billboard charts with two of them reaching No. 1 and three in the Top 10. Three singles have ended up in the Top 100, with “Selling the Drama” coming in at the highest, No. 43, in 1994.

Counting Crows released their first album in 1993 and have put out seven overall. According to the RIAA, they have gone 11 times platinum, with more than seven million records of their debut ‘August and Everything After’ sold. All seven landed in the Top 200 on the Billboard charts, and while just one reached No. 1, six have made it into the Top 10 and the one which didn’t, a 2012 covers LP put out on an independent label, hit No. 11. Like Live, they too have had three singles end up in the Top 100, with “Hanginaround,” coming in at the highest, No. 28, in 2000.

Objectively then, both Live and Counting Crows are nearly equal. The former has more platinum and chart-topping albums while the latter has more landing in the Top 10 and higher charting singles. Therefore, it could go either way as to who should headline. That’s where other factors come into play, and things start to get subjective, if not downright murky at the same time.

Taking a cursory look at Facebook, Live has just in the neighborhood of 250,000 “likes.” Counting Crows demolish that number with almost 1,150,000. Yet it needs to be taken into account that Live created theirs when Kowalczyk had already split the group and even deactivated it for a period while their future remained unclear. That time is also one of the major reasons why Live is an opening act.

Returning from a three-year hiatus with then unknown new singer Chris Shinn went over about as well as those things seem to do with modern and alternative rock bands; see Stone Temple Pilots, 10,000 Maniacs and The Cars for example. Live pretty much fell off the map, going back to clubs playing to audiences of mostly hardcore fans as Kowalczyk pursued a solo career which did just about the same. While all that disarray was going on, Counting Crows were putting out albums every so many years and touring almost every single summer. They kept themselves in the public eye and consciousness.

On the other hand, Live is one of the biggest modern rock bands from the ‘90s. Reuniting with its original lineup should be enough to command a headlining tour, or at the very least a co-headlining run, which, coincidentally, they did with Counting Crows in the summer of 2000. To be relegated to being an opening act is an insult to their comeback, legacy and, to be honest, fans who don’t want to shell out well-earned money for the support act.

The complaints on Live’s Facebook page were prevalent enough for the social media platform administrator to step in on a number of occasions in the comments to iterate the fact that the band would be playing a “full” set of 70 minutes. That will be more than they did at a surprise show New Year’s Eve 2016 at York’s Valencia Ballroom and a few months later at the MMR*B*Q festival, but it’s still not enough for many. And until Live get out there as headliners again, there will be a lingering sense that this reunion isn’t nearly as big as it could or should be.

To contact music columnist Michael Christopher, send an email to rockmusicmenu@gmail.com. Also, check out his blog at www.thechroniclesofmc.com

http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20180405/NEWS/180409878

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hoodstock
post Apr 8 2018, 10:15 am
Post #2

The Voice of Reason

Group Icon

Hoodstock is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

Cool - Live's reply to my comment made it into a newspaper article.

This article is spot on. I'm happy just to see them again but Live fans want a full length show. 2 hours of Live, after all these years, would be great. Even co-headlining would be better than this. This is a huge thing. A reunion of one of the best bands from the 90's. A Rolling Stone Magazine Artist of the Year with some of the biggest hits from their time.

I'm glad they are friends with Live but opening for CC is a huge disappointment. It's a total underestimation of their own fan base and a miscalculation of what their fans want. I get why some people are hesitant to pay their hard earned money for these shows when they want to just see Live.

That's why I'm glad about the Groupon. I can justify paying for the shorter than desired setlist. I can also leave the show a little early if I want without feeling like I threw money away on CC.

I'm not a CC fan. I don't hate them but I don't care for them either. I've seen them onstage and they were one of the worst concert bands I've ever seen. I can only think of PJ Harvey being worse. IMO they are strictly a studio band - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I hope CC is reading things like this article. Maybe they would consider giving Live a little more time on stage if they understand the demand.

I also hope Live realizes that their is a love and demand for their music. I would love to see it continue beyond this current recording effort and tour.

This post has been edited by Hoodstock: Apr 8 2018, 12:07 pm

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Apr 8 2018, 10:20 am
Post #3

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Voodoo Lady is off the scale  ()

Reuniting with its original lineup should be enough to command a headlining tour, or at the very least a co-headlining run, which, coincidentally, they did with Counting Crows in the summer of 2000.

This, right here, is what I can’t quite wrap my head around. All the other stuff in the article is a truthful analysis, esp. how Live shot themselves in the foot with the breakup. They want to tour with their “besties” Counting Crows... okay, fine. But why not co-headlining as they did in 2000. Money is the only explanation I can come up with as to why.

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Apr 8 2018, 12:05 pm
Post #4

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

The only benefit is can see is if there is a a show with general admission near the stage, you can probably get to the front more easily since Live is the opener. And then leave right before Counting crows begins.

+Quote Post
Heather
post Apr 8 2018, 12:12 pm
Post #5

Rattlesnake

Group Icon

Heather is off the scale  ()

I think it's safe to say that most of us agree with everything in this article but when you really think about it, what other 90's bands can still support a headlining tour of their own? There are very few. Look at all of the 90's bands on tour this Summer doing a package deal with similar bands. I think fans of bands like Live are all in the same boat. Sadly, I don't think most bands still around from that time can make any money off of a small headlining tour with a no name opening band. I guess the best we can hope for is that they add some one off headlining shows here and there. Don't really see any way they could hit all of the cities they are if it was just them. It sucks but I think it's the sad reality of tours these days.

+Quote Post
Hoodstock
post Apr 8 2018, 12:27 pm
Post #6

The Voice of Reason

Group Icon

Hoodstock is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Heather @ Apr 8 2018, 1:12 pm) *

I think it's safe to say that most of us agree with everything in this article but when you really think about it, what other 90's bands can still support a headlining tour of their own? There are very few. Look at all of the 90's bands on tour this Summer doing a package deal with similar bands. I think fans of bands like Live are all in the same boat. Sadly, I don't think most bands still around from that time can make any money off of a small headlining tour with a no name opening band. I guess the best we can hope for is that they add some one off headlining shows here and there. Don't really see any way they could hit all of the cities they are if it was just them. It sucks but I think it's the sad reality of tours these days.

That's mostly true (DMB and BNL's are examples to the contrary) but they didn't have to settle for being an opening act. Co-headlining with a contract to rotate as the final act should have been the deal with CC.

Heck, even Eddie Money is still touring and headlining DTE by himself.

This post has been edited by Hoodstock: Apr 8 2018, 12:31 pm

+Quote Post
Heather
post Apr 8 2018, 12:49 pm
Post #7

Rattlesnake

Group Icon

Heather is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Hoodstock @ Apr 8 2018, 1:27 pm) *

That's mostly true (DMB and BNL's are examples to the contrary) but they didn't have to settle for being an opening act. Co-headlining with a contract to rotate as the final act should have been the deal with CC.

Heck, even Eddie Money is still touring and headlining DTE by himself.

I think it might have been if this CC tour wasn't their 25 anniversary tour. It would seem odd for them to not headline every show of it and that would piss off their fans if they didn't. Maybe this was the best deal they could get, I mean they haven't exactly been putting out new music or trying to stay relevant like a lot of other 90's bands. Eh whatever, I've got my tickets and I'm going to enjoy the show no matter what. The older I get the less I care about all of this crap. I'm just happy I still get to see my favorite band after all of these years.

This post has been edited by Heather: Apr 8 2018, 12:51 pm

+Quote Post
meltdown5
post Apr 8 2018, 2:19 pm
Post #8

FansOfLive Freshman

meltdown5 is off the scale  ()

I agree this tour is a letdown. I think Live should be playing smaller venues on their own headlining tour. I've seen CC twice with Live and both times CC was hugely disappointing (Adam forgetting the words, yelling at bandmates, etc.). I'm buying a lawn ticket for the venue in my area and leaving after Live plays. As for whoever said what 90s band still can do their own headlining tour - Third Eye Blind (which honestly has replaced Live as my favorite band) played similar venues as Live/CC is on this tour last year with their own headlining show for their 20th anniversary, so it can be done, and done well. 3EB's ticket prices were waaaaay better, too. You could get a pit ticket for $75 (including fees) at most venues. For the venue in my city, a Live/CC pit ticket - that doesn't include any of the VIP bells and whistles is retailing for $216 - and that is without fees! No offense to Live or CC, but that's ridiculous and where do they get away with charging that much when neither one of them has had a hit in a hot minute? I'm not at all psyched with this tour at all.

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Apr 8 2018, 2:30 pm
Post #9

Gas Hed

Group Icon

QUOTE(Heather @ Apr 8 2018, 12:49 pm) *

I think it might have been if this CC tour wasn't their 25 anniversary tour.

But Live could have capitalized off the 25 year thing, too. They could have had a coheadlining 25 year anniversary theme with equal billing. I don’t see why they didn’t think of that.

It has to do something with money and or contracts. Maybe Live was late getting to the “tour planning party” and because negotiations were already settled and the plans were set in stone already for CC’s tour, well too late to go back and change things to a co-headline etc. That is what wouldn’t surprise me at all. I hate to call them lazy, but Live has moved at a snail’s pace this past year and it might have been too last minute? So Heather, I think you’re right in saying this is the best they could get.

This post has been edited by Voodoo Lady: Apr 8 2018, 2:32 pm

+Quote Post
dangum
post Apr 8 2018, 11:55 pm
Post #10

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Hey guys. I've got a solution to this situation.

Ed posted on Instagram that Live would be playing a 70 minute / 16 song set and that there would be another opening band as well.

He didn't mention the band name because no doubt it's going to be some no-name local wannabes.

So, how about kicking this shit band off the bill and adding 30 minutes to Live's set. Live can use their 70 minute set to play their stock standard set to cater for the casuals and then use the extra 30 minutes to play stuff real Live fans want to hear.

banana.gif

+Quote Post
Lakini's Juice
post Apr 9 2018, 6:47 am
Post #11

FansOfLive Junior

Lakini's Juice is off the scale  ()

Remember going to see Live AND Coldplay at a mini festival in Goffertpark, Nijmegen (NL) back in 2003(with Supergrass and Nada Surf). They were co-headlining. Coldplay were touring their "Rush Of Blood" album and they blew them away. I wasn't really fond of Coldplay and went only to see Live...but i must say i got back from that gig wanting more of Coldplay.

+Quote Post
Unsheathed
post Apr 9 2018, 7:22 am
Post #12

FansOfLive Sophomore

Unsheathed is off the scale  ()

It makes sense. Live has been out of the game for so long. Bands like CC have been consistently touring and putting out material, remaining relevant in the minds of their fans.

Methinks Live can make more money this way, rather than playing smaller venues as headliner?

+Quote Post
Possum Kingdom
post Apr 9 2018, 8:30 am
Post #13

FansOfLive Freshman

Possum Kingdom is off the scale  ()

The biggest problem is that Live believes 70 minutes is a full set.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
meltdown5
post Apr 9 2018, 9:22 am
Post #14

FansOfLive Freshman

meltdown5 is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(Unsheathed @ Apr 9 2018, 8:22 am) *

It makes sense. Live has been out of the game for so long. Bands like CC have been consistently touring and putting out material, remaining relevant in the minds of their fans.

Methinks Live can make more money this way, rather than playing smaller venues as headliner?

Here here. Most bands play at least a 90-minute if not 2-hour set!

+Quote Post
Voodoo Lady
post Apr 9 2018, 9:11 pm
Post #15

Gas Hed

Group Icon

Just read this about the Goo Goo Dolls online & I don’t know if I want to just cry or get angry at Live again.

Buffalo veteran alt-rockers Goo Goo Dolls just announced a North American run of dates celebrating the 20th anniversary of their “career album," Dizzy Up the Girl. The band will perform the album in its entirety every night, followed by a second set of further hits, deep cuts and, according to a press release, "surprises."
angry.gif cry.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billboard....nniversary-tour

Not a fan of the GGDs. I saw them once in concert accidentally and wasn’t impressed. Am a little leery of looking up to see how they compare toe to toe with Live. Because if Live is the “better” band and the Goo Goo Dolls are pulling that ^^ off... well, more sour grapes.

This post has been edited by Voodoo Lady: Apr 9 2018, 9:17 pm

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 users are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: June 21st, 2018 - 1:03 pm