Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ed Kowalczyk - 2014 Australia / New Zealand tour, ‘Throwing Copper’ 20th Anniversary Celebration
dangum
post Sep 24 2013, 6:54 pm
Post #1

Lakini

Group Icon

dangum is off the scale  ()
Group: Administrator

Ed Kowalczyk will be touring Australia in February of 2014.

February 5, 2014 - Perth (Metro City)
February 7, 2014 - Adelaide (Her Majesty's Theatre Adelaide)
February 8, 2014 - Melbourne (Forum Theatre)
February 9, 2014 - Melbourne (Forum Theatre)
February 11, 2014 - Sydney (Enmore Theatre)
February 12, 2014 - Brisbane (The Tivoli)
February 14, 2014 - Auckland (The Tuning Fork)

Pre-sale starts September 27. Public on-sale October 4.

http://www.livenation.com.au/artist/ed-kow...?omq=ed%20kowal

This post has been edited by dangum: Dec 3 2013, 12:16 am

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dangum
post Sep 24 2013, 8:38 pm
Post #2

Lakini

Group Icon

Ed will be performing "Throwing Copper" in full + a 30 minute set of material from other albums.

Live frontman Ed Kowalczyk is coming out to Australia for a national tour.

Fans of acclaimed singer-songwriter and enduring solo artist, will be in for a special treat as Kowalczyk's national tour sees him celebrate the 20 year anniversary of Live’s seminal album Throwing Copper.

Kowalczyk pays tribute to the hits of his past through to his solo career including the forthcoming album The Flood and The Mercy (out this Friday) featuring the current single "Seven".

“I wrote the songs for Throwing Copper in a state of mind that was at once empty of any and all expectations, yet full of the potential and possibility that marked the ‘90s music scene in America," Kowalczyk said.

"Being just 22-years-old at the time, I was literally learning to write songs as I went, feeling and fledgling my way into this probability cloud that had formed around bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins.

“The songs on Throwing Copper are an amalgam of my early and enduring interest in the spiritual traditions and a desire to put my own lyrical and melodic mark on the age in which I found myself.

"I had no idea that songs like "I Alone" and "Lightning Crashes" would endure on the radio and in the hearts and minds of my fans for so many years after I wrote them.

“Fast forwarding to 2014 and the 20th Anniversary of Throwing Copper's release, I am beyond excited to celebrate the entirety of the record on tour with a new band of amazingly talented musicians and great friends.

"I look forward to celebrating the release as well as reconnecting with the album as a whole, to putting on my miner's helmet and following that copper line deeper into the mountain and see what we find... wanna come along?

See you soon!” Ed K.

Set List: The Dam at Otter Creek, Selling The Drama, I Alone, Iris, Lightning Crashes, Top, All Over You, Shit Towne, T.B.D., Stage, Waitress, Pillar of Davidson, White, Discussion, Horse.

Plus a 30-minute encore featuring hit songs from the Live/Ed K back catalogue, such as:
"The Dolphin’s Cry", "Heaven", "Pain Lies On the Riverside", "Grace" and more.

Ed Kowalczyk's new album The Flood and The Mercy is out September 20.
Tickets On Sale

Friday September 27. For complete tour and ticket information, visit: www.edkowalczyk.com and www.livenation.com.au

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/37046/...ing-Copper-tour

+Quote Post
Sal
post Sep 25 2013, 8:26 am
Post #3

FansOfLive Freshman

Sal is off the scale  ()
Group: Members

yay.gif yahoo.gif yay.gif yahoo.gif yay.gif yahoo.gif

Yay! I hope he plays a few songs from his new album in the "30min encore" because I'm loving that album.

+Quote Post
dangum
post Sep 25 2013, 9:20 am
Post #4

Lakini

Group Icon

The Ed Kowalczyk tour poster for the Australian tour.

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Wambangalang
post Sep 25 2013, 6:27 pm
Post #5

i dont knlw where i am in the forum

Group Icon

Wambangalang is off the scale  ()

my brain is saying dont go and support this douche when he comes to Perth, but my dick is getting very hard at the idea of hearing Ed sing throwing copper|!!!

I'm in for sure!! woohooo!! kicking.gif kicking.gif

+Quote Post
dangum
post Sep 26 2013, 10:07 am
Post #6

Lakini

Group Icon

A New Zealand date has been added to the tour.

Feb 14, 2014. Auckland (The Tuning Fork)
http://www.vectorarena.co.nz/ed/

+Quote Post
dangum
post Sep 26 2013, 11:17 pm
Post #7

Lakini

Group Icon

Got my ticket to the Perth show!

+Quote Post
dangum
post Sep 27 2013, 7:40 am
Post #8

Lakini

Group Icon

I've moved the general discussion about Ed performing "Throwing Copper" to this thread:
Ed performing Throwing Copper

The current thread should be used to discuss the Australian/NZ tour.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
EF341SC
post Oct 1 2013, 3:59 am
Post #9

FansOfLive Sophomore

EF341SC is off the scale  ()

Just got my ticket for the Perth show couldant pass up the whole album wow wonder what Stage will sound like

+Quote Post
dangum
post Oct 1 2013, 4:02 am
Post #10

Lakini

Group Icon

QUOTE(EF341SC @ Oct 1 2013, 4:59 pm) *

Just got my ticket for the Perth show couldant pass up the whole album wow wonder what Stage will sound like

Do you reckon Ed will scream "c'mon motherfucker!"?

+Quote Post
EF341SC
post Oct 1 2013, 5:01 am
Post #11

FansOfLive Sophomore

QUOTE(dangum @ Oct 1 2013, 4:02 am) *

Lol hmmmmmmm
Who knows hopefully id be impressed if he does

We should organise pre Perth show drinks what do you think?

+Quote Post
Bremang
post Oct 1 2013, 1:34 pm
Post #12

Lakini

Group Icon

Bremang is off the scale  ()

QUOTE(dangum @ Oct 1 2013, 5:02 am) *

he's gonna have to scream about some fucking change i see no way around it

+Quote Post
EF341SC
post Oct 1 2013, 6:17 pm
Post #13

FansOfLive Sophomore

Of and don't forget about Shit Town

+Quote Post
dangum
post Oct 11 2013, 2:44 am
Post #14

Lakini

Group Icon

Promo video for the tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X99Bpo9WW5M

+Quote Post
dangum
post Nov 1 2013, 10:17 am
Post #15

Lakini

Group Icon

Article from Rip It Up.

The ‘90s were a different time. Before pop royalty like Britney, Katy and Beyoncé dominated the radio, Australian airwaves were rife with the music of Live – an unassuming rock band from the States that introduced Australia to gloriously epic rock songs like Dolphin’s Cry and I Alone, and taught us to embrace lyricism about phoenixes and roses.

It seems the members in Live didn’t heed the Dolphin’s Cry, however. In 2009 the band dissolved after some well publicised disputes, resulting in frontman Ed Kowalczyk (yes, the bald guy) leaving the band. Since then the songwriter has since gone on to enjoy lucrative solo career, but this February he’ll be hitting Australian soil with something more of a throwback in mind – to perform Live’s most famous album, 1994’s Throwing Copper, in celebration of its 20th anniversary as a solo act.

The performances will also act as a springboard for him to showcase material from his new album, The Flood And The Mercy.

Kowalczyk chats to Rip It Up from his home in Connecticut in the midst of some “decompression time”.

“I just go back from a month-long tour of Europe promoting The Flood And The Mercy so I’ve just been catching up at home and trying to relax.”

Kowalczyk’s new album The Flood And The Mercy, the third in his solo back catalogue, comes out this week through Sony.

“The new album – I’m super proud of it. Again, we just nished this amazing tour of Europe and the fan response was just incredible. They were really into the music, so that has me really energised,” Kowalczyk continues.

“Of course, when I’m coming to Australia to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Throwing Copper we’re also going have a set/encore to get some of my solo songs in there. I imagine it will be a pretty long show. We’ll have to get to a lot of different places. Put together by producer Jamie Candiloro, The Flood And The Mercy features a number of exciting collaborations. Notably, founding R.E.M member Peter Buck on a variety of “mysterious sounding” instruments, from guitar to mandolin to sitar.

“[Peter Buck] performed on nine songs, and that was sort of a dream come true for me, being a massive R.E.M fan,” he divulges.

“So I’m over the moon about it. And the fans that have heard it so far are really loving it.”

Despite the choppy history with his old band, Kowalczyk’s songwriting “craft” has “always really been the same, even as a solo artist.

“My craft has always really been the same, which is sitting down with an acoustic guitar and coming up with the best melodies I can. So that really hasn’t changed, if anything I’ve just gotten some more collaborations – like this album – which are outside the envelope. I didn’t write anything with Peter [Buck], but we collaborated on the production. So mostly it’s still the same, as far as me just sitting down and coming up with things, but in this new chapter of my life as a solo artist its all about branching out and getting to know new people.”

The success of Throwing Copper in Australia is no secret, with the album virtually acting as the primary sustenance for Triple M throughout the better half of the late ‘90s. The Australian response to Kowalczyk’s songwriting has not gone unnoticed.

“When I think of Australia in general, it’s just this incredible feeling that my music has landed. That it’s just reached really deeply with people. Australian fans have just connected with it on such a deep level with such longevity, and the excitement is just still so palpable for everything I’m doing. As an artist you dream about this kind of fan base, it’s a dream come true.”

Aside from the fans, one thing Kowalczyk fondly remembers about our sunburnt country is the coffee.

“One of the best ‘dishes’ I’ve ever had in Australia is the coffee!” he laughs.

“You guys really know how to coffee. You guys are absolutely devoted to it, and every time I come home I realise how spoilt you guys are on the coffee front.”
http://www.ripitup.com.au/music/article/ed...ew-october-2013

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 users are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Lo-Fi Version Current date & time: September 18th, 2018 - 1:30 pm